To remember him

A/N:
This is a thing where ianto died canonically but is actually immortal now... it just took him a while to wake up for his first time. Yes I am aware that some of the irl stuff might not line up well with the torchwood timeline but oh well haha
————————————————————————

Ianto gasped as he was pulled away from the claws of death. Wait... had he survived? No ... he had died ... he knew that... the 456 they.... wait. He knew that type of gasp ... it was what happened when jack... no... surely not .... he couldn't be... could he? He thought back to all the times jack had saved his life, transferring energy to him through what he liked to jokingly call his 'kiss of life' or through blood transfusions when ianto lost a lot of blood after a nasty weevil encounter. Maybe? ... oh well, the reason didn't matter right now... what mattered was finding jack... how long had he been out... hours??... days?? He hauled himself off of the ground with a groan and glanced around at the bodies around him... a few had been cleared away only leaving empty numbered spaces behind so he estimated he had been here for about a day. He needed to get back to jack ... and Gwen of course... he needed to help. It was then that it caught his eye. Something familiar, in the corner of the room, forgotten in haste. Jack's laptop. He knew jack had been tracking the team from it via mobile devices so he always knew where they were if they needed help... maybe ianto could use it to find gwen and hopefully jack. He left the room, stumbling slightly as he got used to being alive again. He took the laptop bag with him and found a nearby alleyway where, hopefully, he would be hidden from passers by. He took a seat on a relatively clean looking price of ground as he started up the laptop. He knew jack's password... of course he did, he knew everything. The Welshman felt himself become intrigued as he clicked open jack's files. Ianto didn't snoop... not usually. But just this once he felt his eyes drawn to a particular file named 'to remember him'. Remember who? Who was so important in jack's life that he needed to remember them so desperately? Maybe it was that doctor of his. Without thinking ianto clicked... a video file opened up and he couldn't believe what he saw...

It was an edited video of every small snippet of the Welshman that jack had ever filmed on his phone. Every moment of ianto being silly or excited or just generally letting his walls down for jack. Ianto knew jack filmed him sometimes, he didn't mind. He assumed it was just all good fun... jack teasing him. He never thought that jack might be thinking ahead ... for when ianto was... gone. He clicked play.

The video began with a black screen and white writing.
"To remember ianto jones by... when he's gone"

The words faded away as the first video began to play.

"Hey ianto What was it you just said" jack behind the camera shouted across the hub. "BROCCOLI IS ALIEN CAULIFLOWER!" Ianto shouted loudly back as he turned to look at jack in the video "wait" he called not quite as loudly "Are you filming me?! ... I'm gonna get you for that!!". The the recording stopped as ianto began to run across the hub causing jack to let out a squeak.

The next clip that showed was the concert jack took ianto too. It was the concert of a band ianto had wanted to see when he was a teenager. Jack filmed an ecstatic ianto who was jumping wildly screaming the words. "HAVING FUN??!!" Jack yelled over the music, ianto turned to look into the camera and jack's eyes "I LOVE YOU SO MUCH RIGHT NOW!" He shouted back with a grin.

The next clip made ianto giggle as he watched it play out. Jack filmed as he walked across the hub pointing the camera at ianto who seemed to be focused intently on a drawing of sorts. "Whatcha doing there yan?". Ianto looked up and held up the sheet of paper "I've created my own alien race ... they're called ... the ... ractonians" he told the camera seriously though his eyes sparkled with mirth. Jack giggled behind the camera "they look kinda like trees" he pointed out. Ianto nodded "yeah ...but they're really short they're like miniature trees". "How short are we talking?" Jack questioned. Ianto shrugged "like an inch", "an inch! wooooowww" jack laughed "what do they eat". "Trees" ianto informed him without a moments hesitation. The camera shook as jack laughed uncontrollably "so they're inch tall trees that eat... trees?". Ianto nodded, clearly trying not to laugh "yeah... they're... cannibalistic" he choked out as he finally gave in and began laughing with jack.