Chapter 1 - Moving Forward

"Ready for the new adventure?" I asked Sam as we were on the plane to Manchester.

"I guess," she replied, "slightly scary though."

"You are going to be great. I know you will. You are an amazing player, and I know you will be able to slot in wherever you go."

"Thanks Brads," she answered, "I'm just glad that you will be there too." I smiled at my best friend, knowing that we were always going to have each other.

"How was Sonnett?" Sam asked.

"She was alright. I think she was trying to put a brave face on. We've never been apart for this long."

"You guys will get through it. You have one of the strongest relationships I know."

"This is going to be a test though," I replied, "especially because covid isn't doing us any favours."

"Mom wants to know if you will come home again for Christmas?" I smiled at this. Home.

"Yeah, of course. After four years of Mewis Christmas', no way am I going to miss it."

When we arrived in Manchester, we headed to the apartment units we were staying at. Rose, Sam and I were all staying in the same unit to make it easier for all of us, and also so we knew we had familiar faces just in case we needed anything.

"Rosie!" I said to her, as we got to the apartments. I hugged my fellow USWNT team mate, after not seeing her for a few months.

"BVD!" Rose exclaimed, hugging me back. That's my nickname. BVD. Bradie Van Dyk.

"I need help," Rose said, as we sat in her apartment.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"I can't get the bloody washing machine to work."

"Seriously?" I asked, laughing.

"It's so difficult! It's not like ours in the US!"

"I'm sure it's not too difficult," I answered. Sam and I went over to her washing machine, to try and help Rose out, but sure enough, it was not as easy as it looked.

"I'm sure we'll figure it out," I said to both of them, after trying for too long.

"We'll get it," Sam added.

I met Tobin and Christen the next morning, to go sign our contracts.

"Hey," I said to them, as they picked me up from my apartment.

"BVD!" Tobin answered, smiling at me.

"You guys excited?" I asked them. Christen was driving while Tobs was playing the music.

"Yeah," Press said, focusing on driving, "it'll be an experience."

"I just want to get to play some soccer," Tobin added, "it's been too long."

"That's a fact," I replied.

We arrived at the training ground, and were met with Marc Skinner, the manager of United.

"The Americans are here!" Marc said, as we got out of the car. We walked up to him, bumping elbows (just to be covid safe.) "We are so glad that all three of you have decided to come join us. Now, let's go sign some contracts!"

We went inside, and all three of us took turns signing. Tobin, Christen and I only signed a one season deal, due to work permits and visas.

We took photos of all us three together, after signing, as well as us holding up our jerseys.

Christen was 24.

Tobin was 77.

I was 12. I've always been 12. Since I was eight, that's always been my number.