Chapter 8 - Familiar Faces

I moved around a lot, as a kid. I had lived in nearly every country in Western Europe by the time I was eight. I had lived in France, Germany, Italy, Andorra, Spain, Portugal, Holland and more that I don't even remember. My parents and I were always on the move. That was their job. We had to keep going to the weird and wonderful places that I grew to love. Although I was born in Boston, in a place called Quincy, we left the US before I could even remember it. I adored Europe. I loved it more than I ever thought possible. I thought I'd stay there forever. But plans change. People die. Mysteries that never get solved appear. I was left to fend for myself, in a world that seemed so big. Until I went back. Until I went back to the place I never thought I would.

When I first entered the national team, I hadn't even started playing in the NWSL yet. Normally the 'brightest talents' are called into the USWNT before the start of the season, and so when I was brought in, I was surrounded with the vets. Players like Tobin Heath, Carli Lloyd, Alex Morgan, Megan Rapinoe. They were solid players, who's spot was never in doubt. They were welcoming, but also fierce. Although they never had to prove themselves, they wanted to. They wanted to show why they were the best in the business.

I didn't hang around them too much.

Instead, I found my people. I found the people that made me feel ignited, and special. The ones who cared for me, and looked out for the young college player. Sam Mewis was one of them.

When I first entered the team, she was the one to show me the ropes. She was the one who helped me figure out where I belonged. She showed me what it was like to be a player that people couldn't look past. She inspired me to be my best. That's how she became my closest and best friend.

Although she played for the North Carolina Courage, and I was across the country playing for the Thorns, whenever we had camps, she was the one who made me feel at home. She was the person who never left my side. I loved her. She was my best friend.

"Go out there, Brads," Sam said to me, before I debuted in my first national team game, "and be the player everyone here knows you are. Play with confidence and I'm sure you will prove exactly why you are here." I gave my best friend a hug, before going out to line up in my first national team game.

It was as if Christmas had come early in that game. We were up against Mexico, and within the first 15 minutes, I had scored my first goal. A Rapinoe corner ended up on my head, and as I pushed it past the goalkeeper, I realised what had happened. I had my first goal. In my first game. It was a dream come true really.

Since that game, I had been consistent within the national team. I went to the World Cup in 2019, which we won, and my spot has never really been in doubt. I would often start games, ahead of players like Alex. When it first started happening, people were surprised why the young college player was playing in these big matches, but when I started scoring consistently, in nearly every USWNT game, it soon stopped being a topic of extreme conversation.

Now that I was in England, I was just glad I would be playing football over the off season. Due to covid, the NWSL had a very disjointed season. It meant it was hard for most players to keep a consistent schedule. I was lucky. So was Sam, Christen, Tobin and Rose. We all would be playing in the best league in the world.

When the November roster was announced, Sam and I were ecstatic. Not because we were on it, but rather Kristie was.

"She made it!" Sam shouted, as I was in my apartment. She rushed through the doors to show me the phone. "Look! Kristie made it!" I grabbed the phone off her, looking to find Kristie's name. And there it was. Kristie Mewis.

"Oh my god!" I screamed back. We were so happy, and the first thing we did, was ring Kristie.

"YOU DID IT!" I shouted into the phone, as Kristie was on the screen. She was smiling very widely, so happy with what had just been announced.