Chapter 33 - Jackie's Escape

Jackie's POV

The national team was versing Austria and Switzerland in a pair of friendlies over the international break. We were preparing for the Euros that were coming up in the summer and we were determined to win. We wanted more than anything to go back to back for Euros and come out victorious. It was all going to plan as well. We were winning our games, and having good margins as well. In previous international breaks, we came across teams such as Spain and Sweden, and we were able to be competitive. We would win or draw, and that put us in a good position. We were going well.

Over the past few months, I had been thinking about Bradie... or Willow. It had been hard to focus on anything else. Playing with her, at Manchester United, was something I loved. Although the start of our friendship was rocky, and I doubted her and her trust, I soon grew to appreciate her more than I thought. She confided in me, and I respected that, and loved her for it. I knew a lot about her and her past and it made me comfortable knowing she trusted me with that information, over anyone else. When she told me she broke it off with her girlfriend, who I never really knew too much about, something inside me clicked. Something told me that this was more than just a friendship. Maybe I was being irrational, or maybe not, but either way, I wasn't going to let her go.

But it had started to get more dangerous than I even thought possible. Before even telling Bradie I had been doing it, I was constantly scanning the news making sure any articles on Willow Meyer weren't leading anyone close to her. I made it my mission to protect her, with every inch of my body. I couldn't have anyone take her away again, like they did those many years ago.

When the articles started becoming even more frequent, I got anxious. I was worried about her, and what would happen. It was all uncertain in my brain, that I would start showing her the articles. She was confused, but not as much as I thought. Was I overreacting or was I just being protective? I wasn't sure.

And then came Harry. When he knocked on the door, and I opened it, something dropped in my stomach. I thought it might have been one of the people that was trying to find her. Was this one of the men that was searching for Willow Meyer?

Harry soon explained everything, and told both Bradie and I everything we didn't already know. It was good to finally get some answers, not for me but for her. She deserved them. When he asked if he could trust me, Bradie looked at me, her blue eyes staring into mine.

"Yeah, we can trust her," she answered.

That, right then, solidified something inside of me. Something that I was scared of asking her for so long. She trusted me, and I trusted her.

So, the day before our game against Austria, when I got a frantic message from Bradie, something in my stomach churned.

Bradie: call me asap.

Jackie: what's wrong?

Soon after I sent the message, I got a facetime.

Brads

"What's wrong?" I asked her. Her phone was propped up against her bed while she was frantically packing her bag

"I'm leaving camp," Bradie answered.

"What? Why?"

"I got a call from Harry," she replied.

"Saying what?"

"They've found out."

"Who's found out?"

"Them."

"Bradie..."

"I fucked up, Jack. Big time."

"Bradie, slow down and explain."

"You know how I knelt at my game?"