Chapter 58 - Meetings in Melbourne

TTManagement: Bradie, new offer from Barcelona. €700k! They really want you. Think about it.

I stared at the message that came up on my phone, not knowing what to do, once again. It had felt like a recurring theme: me constantly not knowing what I wanted. I knew that a change was necessary. It was becoming more obvious to United too, the longer that I withheld signing another contract.

We played Canada that evening. It was a tight game from the beginning. Both teams' defence was working wonders, with neither able to penetrate into the others' half effectively. The game ended 0-0, and after 30 minutes of extra time, we were in another penalty shootout.

I was second to take the penalty, and got it in. All five of the US players made their penalties, but so too did Canada. When Adrianna Leon missed her penalty, however, and Kristie then made hers, we were in. We had done it. We were off to the semi finals, where we were set to verse the favourites. Set to verse Australia.

I posted an instagram picture of me hugging Kristie and Sam after the match.

Bradievandyk: onto the semis we go. So proud of these girls @uswnt

Sammymewyy: love you too much bvd

Kmewis19: so sick

Malpugh: proud

Sophssmith: ahhhh too much love bvd

When we travelled down to Melbourne, it was time to face the pressure. We knew that it had been mounting over the past few weeks, but we were coming to the climax. If we wanted a third World Cup win in a row, we would need to overcome the Aussies. The underdogs, and yet somehow still the favourites.

We had a free day in Melbourne before the game.

"You coming?" Sam asked me, as she was about to head out.

"Where you going?" I asked.

"Kristie and I are meeting Sam and Indi," she replied.

"No, its okay," I answered, "I think I need a day alone."

"Fair enough," she replied, "I'll see you later."

Sam and Kristie were gone all day, and so too were the other girls.

But, when I received a message from someone expected, I knew it was time to leave the apartment.

Hayley: hey bradie, wanna get a coffee?

Bradie: I thought we weren't supposed to be fraternising with the enemy lol

Hayley: haha very funny. Trams on bourke street? 10 mins?

Bradie: ill be there

I grabbed my jacket, and headed out to meet Hayley. Bourke street is always bustling with people, being the centre hub for the city.

As I saw Hayley standing there, looking so solemn, I wondered why she truly wanted to meet. We were close in Portland, and had always been friendly, but it was an unexpected gesture that I was determined to find out the reasoning for.

"Hey," I said to her, as I walked up.

"Hi," she replied, giving me a hug. We were both in our respective teams kits: her rocking the green and gold, and myself in the blue, white and red.

"Oh my god," we heard two girls say behind us, "can we please have a picture with you guys?"

"Me as well?" I questioned.

"Of course, you're Bradie Van Dyk!" I smiled softly, and we grabbed a quick picture with the two girls before they ran off squealing.

"I'll never get used to that," I said to Hayley.