Chapter 43 - CONCACAF

The CONCACAF tournament was a success. We had a fairly easy group, having to play the likes of Haiti, Jamaica and Mexico. When we arrived in Mexico, I felt a sense of freshness I hadn't experienced in a while. It was like I was breathing in new air, away from the struggles I had been enduring over the past few months. I missed Jackie, more than I think I should have, but I knew it was an important tournament, and I wasn't going to let anything get in the way.

The first game we had was against Haiti. I started in the nine, with Sophia and Mal on either side of me. Lindsey, Rose and Andi were in the midfield, and Kelley, Foxy, Alana and Becky made the back line, alongside Casey in goals. We were trying to put our best foot forward for the games, aiming to secure a win.

In the Haiti game, I scored a double. It was a quick fire first half brace, which kept my goals tally ticking over, which is always nice. Midge came on in the second half to score our third, and that was the score: 3-0.

When I came off in the 60th minute, Sonnett hadn't been subbed on yet. As I went to sit down, I had an urge to sit next to her. Sonnett. Not Emily. Sonnett. But when I saw her eyes prick up and look into mine, I knew I shouldn't. I should give her the space that I knew she wanted, even if I still wanted to be her friend. So, I sat down beside Kristie instead.

"Good goals!" She said, giving me a hug as I sat down.

"Thanks," I answered.

"Little back heel too!" She added.

"You know me," I laughed, "always got to find the least conventional way to the goal."

"Kristie," Vlatko said, coming over to us, "you're on." She stood up, taking her subs bib off and handing it to me.

Then, I was sitting by myself, waiting for Rose to come to the side. This would be awkward. Who would she sit next to? It would make sense for her to go sit beside Sonnett, I mean, I'd expect it. And I wasn't wrong. Rose came off, and went beside her. But when Lindsey was subbed off at the same time, as Taylor went in, Lindsey sat next to me.

"Good job," she said, smiling at me. Even though I had never been too close with Lindsey, I could always respect her and her grit. She had had a slight falling out with Sonnett, since she left Portland, and so I could understand why I was beside her.

"Thanks," I answered, "you too."

During the game, when Ashley received a yellow card for pushing over a player, Lindsey and I couldn't keep ourselves together. It wasn't Ashley's yellow that was funny, but more Kristie. She went over, her tall, Boston figure bodying up the Haitians. Lindsey and I had to put our hands over our mouths to stop us from cracking up with laughter.

"I really hope we aren't on the screen," I said to her, under my breath.

"Me too," she laughed back.

After the match, I went over to Kristie and the rest of the girls.

"Kris, you were a fucking beast. Like bodying up those players. We applaud you!" Kristie smirked.

"But Hatchy," Kristie said, turning to Ashley, "I thought you fully got bodied by someone, but you bodied them!" Kristie was laughing and so was I.

"So cute how you defended Hatchy though," Rose said, coming into the conversation.

"You're such a masshole!" I said.

"Says you," Kristie replied, "you're a big one too!"

"Touche!"

The next few days consisted of training and relaxing. I was rooming with Baby Soph, which is the first time we had roomed together.

"Are you going to be my new roomie?" I asked her.