Chapter 60 - Responsibilities

We woke up the next morning, all ready to play in our final game of the World Cup. The girls were ready, excited even, but not me. I was nervous. Nervous about how the day would pan out. Nervous about what may occur. Nervous for Ettie.

"What's this?" Tierna asked, as she got changed in the morning. She was pointing to the shoe box which sat on the table.

"Oh, nothing," I replied, quickly, getting out of the bed and taking the box to put it in my suitcase. I didn't want anyone to see what I had. I didn't want people to know the notes which I had received.

"Alright then," Tierna said, confused, before continuing to get ready.

When Tierna walked downstairs, I was left in the room by myself. I looked at the shoebox, and opened it up. The letters all lay there neatly, and I was curious about what may possibly be inside of them, but I didn't open them. Of course I wouldn't. They weren't for me, they were for the others. The ones Ettie loved most: Lucy, Georgia, Indi, Hayley, Leah and Keira.

I grabbed the copy of Little Women, which Ettie had given me, and opened it up.

To my darling Diane,

Our love shines brighter than the stars above.

Love yours, J.N.

Wow. No wonder Ettie loved this copy. Her fascination with the stars always intrigued me, intrigued everyone. To have something shine brighter than the things that fill the sky with light would be an overwhelming experience.

"I wonder who these people could be," I questioned to myself, whispering it under my breath. If people heard me talking to myself, they would probably think I was more insane than I already am.

I headed downstairs, to see all the girls grabbing their breakfast.

"You alright?" Sam asked me.

"Yeah?"

"You seem a little tense," she said.

"Oh," I answered, "just a little nervous.

"We'll be okay," Sam replied, "all we can do is our best." I nodded knowing she was alright, before standing up to get my own food.

I stood in line, and Emily came up behind me.

"Hey," she said to me.

"Hey," I answered, "sorry about last night. I just had to do something."

"It's okay," she replied, "I'm sorry for questioning you. You don't need any of that." I smiled at her, grateful for the apology. I knew I was harsh on her yesterday. All she was trying to do was be supportive and help, but I didn't need that at the time. I just needed to see Ettie. Now I kind of wish I hadn't. Now I know the pressure that is not only on Ettie, but also me. What if something does happen? How will I do it? How will I go about giving these letters? Ettie said to give them to the people when they need it most. How will I ever know when they need it most?

I tried to push the thoughts into the back of my mind, not wanting to think about it any longer. Not wanting to try and imagine what life could be like in a few hours time.

Nothing will happen, I tried to convince myself, nothing bad is going to happen.

We got on the team bus, and headed to Stadium Australia. The game was set to be played first, with the final followed a little after.

When the lineup was announced, I was starting, alongside Tobin, Sophia, Kristie, Sam, Lindsey, Becky, Naomi, Kelley, Sofia and Alyssa. When I looked on instagram, and saw the Lionesses line up, Ettie's name was there.