Chapter 21 - Tillies Vs USWNT

"Well," Emily said to Kristie, as we sat at the breakfast table, "What's on the agenda today? Is it... the Australia game?" Sam, Lynn, Rose, Abby and I all looked at Kristie, who only started laughing.

"I don't know Sonnett, you tell me. You're more organised than I am. I don't even know what day it is."

"Well," Emily continued to say, "Kratch, it is in fact the Australia game today. You feel like doing a sliding tackle on your girlfriend?" All of us were slightly in favour of this, as we knew that Sam Kerr was Australia's biggest threat. She was a goal scoring machine, and there is no boundary to her greatness.

"I think I'll let the defenders handle that," Kristie replied, laughing again.

"Trust me," Abby said, "We'll need all the help we can get to shut Kerr down."

We didn't train that morning, and instead did some rehabbing before the game that night. Emily went with me to the physio, who just checked to make sure that my calf was alright after the slight strain earlier in the competition.

"How are you feeling?" Emily asked me, as the physio taped my leg.

"I'm okay," I replied.

"You sure?"

"Yeah, just trying to get through everything one day at a time," I replied.

"After this tournament is over, let's do something," Emily suggested.

"Like what?"

"I'm not sure," she replied, "go on a vacation or something. Just give us time away from football."

"I'll have preseason," I said, downly.

"Surely you can take one week off from preseason," she replied, "I've missed you." I thought about it for a little, until I knew she was right.

"Yeah, of course," I said to her, smiling, "let's do it." She grabbed my hand, as the physio walked back through the door, and smiled at me.

The game was played in Kashima, in front of no crowds. I was set to start the game alongside Megan, Christen, Sam, Julie, Rose, Crystal, Tierna, Becky, Kelley and Alyssa. Before the start of the match, Sam and I were outside our changing room, grabbing some water and laughing around, when we saw a girl in green and gold jersey, walking past.

"Indi?" I exclaimed.

"Brads!" The girl said, turning around, her brown hair slick back into a high ponytail. I gave her a hug, even though we weren't supposed to (for covid safety.)

"Is Kristie with you guys?" Indi asked, probably wanting to see her best friend before they go out to play against one another.

"She's inside I think. Want me to get her?" Indi shook her head.

"No, it's okay. I'll see her after the game anyways. Are you two starting?" Sam and I both nodded.

"Guess I'll be up against my favourite defender," I said sarcastically, knowing that Indi will most definitely be starting and will be playing as centre back.

"You love playing with me," Indi smiled.

"No, I really don't."

"No scoring any goals on me though," Indi said, before getting called by Hayley.

"Razz!" I said, as Hayley peaked her head through.

"BVD!" She answered, walking over and hugging me. "I wish we could stay, but Tony wants us."

"Sorry, we better go. I'll see you two on the field," Indi said, as both her and Hayley turned away.

We walked back inside the locker room, and sat beside Kristie, who was tying her hair into her classic top knot.