Chapter 53 - New Offers

After the interview, all three of us sat together in a coffee shop, debriefing what had just occurred.

"I can't believe we actually did that," I said.

"Neither," Ettie replied, "I never thought I would actually do that."

"I'm proud of us," Sam added, "I'm sure we have done more good than we will ever comprehend."

"As soon as the article was released, hundreds more were published. It's crazy how fast it all spread," Ettie said to both of us. My phone was constantly buzzing, with new articles being released every minute it felt like. My instagram was gaining more followers, and my name was trending once again on Twitter.

"I'm not sure how I feel about all of this," I said to both of them, sipping on my drink.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know," I answered Sam.

"Listen, Bradie, what we have just done is an incredible thing. We have done an incredible thing. We have helped more people than we could ever begin to realise. I am proud of you for that. I am proud of us for that. Don't forget why we are here. Don't forget that we aren't here just to protect ourselves but also protect and help the future generations. They need it, just like we needed it back then." Ettie had a way with words that I cannot even describe. She said everything I needed to hear in that moment, and I was glad to have made a friend in her.

Sam soon left to head back to the US, and I was meant to travel back up to Manchester. We knew we were going to stay in contact though, with Ettie making that especially clear before I got on the train.

"Text me, okay?" She asked.

"Of course."

"I want us to stay close, yeah? It's nice to have a friend like you, Bradie. A friend who understands."

"Yeah, me too. I'll see you soon."

When I arrived back in Manchester, I went to my apartment to find it empty. No Jackie. I knew she couldn't have wandered too far, but before I could pick up my phone to call her, I had someone else ring me. When I saw the name pop up on the screen, something fluttered within me. Something unexpected, but not unusual.

Emily

Do I answer it? Do I pick up the phone? I went with my gut, and as I tapped the big, green button, I heard her voice on the other line.

"Hi?" I heard a voice say, over the phone.

"Hey," I answered.

"I just wanted to ring," Emily said, her voice settling something within me.

"Slightly unexpected," I laughed.

"Well, I thought we were friends now," she joked back.

"Touche," I answered.

"I just wanted to tell you how proud I am of you. I watched the interview, and you were so strong."

"Thanks, Em," I answered, sitting down with the phone to my ear.

"You're such an incredible person, Bradie. With everything that has happened, and what you've been through, I never stop being so incredibly in awe of you."

"Em, you're going to make me cry," I joked back.

"Sorry, I should get back to my normal humorous talk." I laughed as she spoke, with this conversation reminding me of why we were together for four years.

"Thank you, Em. Thank you so much."

We soon hung up the phone, and as we did, Jackie walked through the door, carrying some groceries.