Chapter 32 - The Catalyst

I went out onto the pitch. I was last to leave the changing room. As I walked out, the crowds of supporters were screaming down wanting us to wave at them or smile. We had some really great fans, and they were supportive and amazing. They pushed our team, even when we didn't think we could do it.

This time, however, I was caught off guard. I was confused, and slightly shocked about what occurred.

"I love you BVD!" One of the girls in the crowd said, point at me. I smiled up at her, and waved.

"BVD! BVD! BVD!" A group of kids then started to shout.

I smiled again, loving how much they cared for me and liked me as a player, and person. But then I heard something else.

"Why would you like her? She's just a black girl who took the place of someone who's actually good. I miss Carli." I stood still straight away, and the players behind me nearly crashed on top of me. Mal, who was a sub, stood behind me, stepping on the back of my feet.

"Are you alright?" She asked, but I couldn't speak. I was angry. I was angry that the colour of my skin had anything to do with what people thought of me. It was 2022, we weren't living in the past.

"I'm okay," I answered, "I'll tell you later."

When we walked out, the anger filled me so deep I couldn't think of anything else. I had never experienced something like that so blatantly. Growing up in a progressive county, and having a white dad and black mum, meant that I wasn't subjected to as much abuse that a lot of people like me actively do experience.

So, when the national anthem came on, I knelt. I knelt for the first time in a while. We had decided as a team not to kneel anymore, and rather just not place our hands on our heart. But I was angry, and that, for better or for worse, clouded my judgement.

I saw Kristie look at me, when I was kneeling, and she did something I didn't expect her to do, she knelt down. She grabbed my hand, looked at me, slightly confused, and then straight ahead.

The national anthem soon stopped, and we got into a huddle.

"BVD?" Andi asked, while wearing the captain's armband.

"Sorry," I replied, "I'll tell you after the game."

"Is everything alright?"

"No," I answered, "the world isn't right."

We played our game, and won convincingly. I scored a brace, one in the 12th minute (assisted by Kristie) and in the 65th minute (assisted by Cat.) Cat scored one herself, and so did Andi. It was a good game and we were able to come away with the win.

After the match, before I had been on my phone, the girls all stood around me.

"What happened?" Mal asked.

"I heard someone in the crowd," I replied.

"What'd they say?" Sam asked.

"They said I was just some black girl who would never be as good as Carli."

"Jesus Christ," Cat said, mad.

"Why the fuck is this still even a topic?" Sophie asked.

"It's just so ridiculously dumb," Kristie added in.

"I was angry," I then said, "and I'm sorry I did what I did but I just couldn't help it."

"I would've done the same thing," Midge chimed in.

"Same," Sophie said.

"Same," Cat added.

"But this is going to cause some talk," Sofia said.

"People don't like when we do things out of the ordinary," Alyssa said.

"And you and Kristie will get the brunt of it," Sam added.

"It'll be okay," Kristie said, grabbing my hand, "I'm just proud of you for standing up for what you believe in."

I smiled at her, as her blue eyes reflected on my own. I was always deemed unusual because I had blue eyes and dark skin, but it was me. I was a mixture of both my parents, and that made me slightly happy.

When I turned on my phone, I was bombarded. Texts from Josie appeared, and also Jackie and Harry.

Josie: Darling, what did I tell you about laying low!! What happened??

Harry: Queue collateral damage...

Jackie: Bradie Van Dyk, what did Harry and Josie tell you!!

As I was about to reply to them all, a new alert popped up on my phone.

"Look at this," I said to Sam, showing her the article.

"Not even an hour after the match?" Sam questioned.

"Not even an hour."

Bradie Van Dyk knelt alongside Kristie Mewis at USWNT game in Ohio, sources report racial tension in crowd

Bradie Van Dyk, one of the USWNT youngest, brightest but most experienced players, was seen kneeling during the national anthem before their game against Colombia. Van Dyk, who is the top goal scorer out of the current USWNT roster, scored a brace in this game, and assisted fellow teammate Andi Sullivan for their fourth goal of the night. Van Dyk has been an integral part of the USWNT for many years now, going straight into the national team from college, where she played with Boston College for her entire collegiate career.

Tensions apparently rose when Van Dyk was entering the field from the USWNT locker room. Although not confirmed exactly what was said, it was determined, in the post-match discussions, that some members of the crowd seemed to be racial profiling the players, discussing abilities in terms of race.

Van Dyk, who heard this, went on to kneel during the national anthem, in an effort to raise awareness about the harm of racial profiling within this country.

Van Dyk has never mentioned her mixed race heritage before, and this act of protest is one of the first she has done in a few years.

"This one seemed in favour of you?" Sam said.

"Yeah, I think so."

"Don't check Fox though," Kristie said, "too many racist pricks over there."

By the next day, my name was everyone. People had knelt before, but the story as to why I did it, started leaking. It got out what the 'fan' had said, and that led to more articles and more people trying to ask me what had happened.

When I looked down on my phone, I saw that I had a call from Harry.

"Why did you not lay low?" He asked.

"I know, I made a mistake."

"Mistake?! Far worse than a mistake, they've figured it out."

"What? What have they figured out?"

"They know Willow Meyer is still alive," Harry started to say, "and they know Bradie Van Dyk is not Bradie Van Dyk."

"Harry, slow down and explain."

"We need to get you out of there."

"What?"

"You need to get on the first plane to New York City," Harry said.

"Please Harry, talk slower."

"Contact your friend too," Harry added.

"Jackie?"

"Yes, her. She knows too much."

"What should I do?"

"Get on a plane," Harry started to say, "no, it's too late. I'll arrange a private plane to take you tonight and I'll do the same for your friend."

"Harry, what do they know?" I asked one more time.

"They pieced it together."

"Pieced what together?" I questioned.

"Absolutely everything."