Chapter 54 - Change

The World Cup was set to commence later in the Summer, and so, during June, we played a few friendlies. We were set to verse Australia in Seattle, and Mexico in Monterrey before flying across the Pacific Ocean to start our tournament in New Zealand and Australia. We knew Australia was going to be a tough team to compete against, as they were coming into extreme form ahead of their home World Cup, but we were also number one in the world, and that gave us confidence. Confidence that we most certainly needed.

"Okay, I'm off," I said to Jackie, hugging her before heading to the airport. We both assumed that over the next two months we wouldn't see each other a lot. There was a possibility that we may play Holland during the World Cup. It had been weird since transfer rumours started to spark. Neither of us really knew what to do or what to think. It was as if we were floating through life, not trying to cause any issues, but deep down both being confused about what was happening in reality.

"Bye," she said to me, giving me a slight hug, but it was not as emotive as we both presumed it could have been.

When I left my place, I headed to the airport, clutching my phone to my chest.

"We'll be okay," I whispered to myself, as I stared out the window at the beautiful Manchester sky, "I'm sure everything will be okay."

When I arrived in Seattle, I headed straight into camp. When I saw Emily, I was reminded about what happened only a few months earlier. Reminded that I overheard something I shouldn't have. She loved me. She still loved me.

"Hey," I said to her, as I walked into the lobby.

"How was your flight?" she asked, taking one of my many bags off from me.

"Long," I answered, before heading up stairs to put my stuff in my room, before a team meeting which I was already late for.

"You waited for me?" I asked her, surprised she wasn't already in the conference room.

"Someone had to show you where to go," she answered.

"That's so... thoughtful, Em," I said to her, surprised at this gesture, initially, but soon understanding where she was coming from.

When we went into the conference room, everyone turned around to look at me, and Emily, as we walked through the doors.

"BVD in the house!" Trinity said, coming up to me, giving me a hug. I said hi to all the girls, before taking a seat beside Sam and Kristie.

After a week of camp, we had our game against Australia. Throughout that week, I hadn't talked to Jackie. I messaged her a few updates, and she did the same, but no calls were made and no face times were had. It was as if everything had changed. Things fell apart, and we both weren't too sure why. Well, we both knew why, but just did not want to admit it.

"So, have you decided yet?" Emily asked me, as we sat beside each other before the game.

"Decided what?"

"You staying on at United?" She asked me. I looked at her, not knowing what to reply with.

"Not too sure yet," I answered, trying to be vague.

"What kind of offers have you got?"

"A few good ones."

"Where?"

"Barca, Wolfsburg and Lyon," I answered.

"Wow, Bradie, those are some incredible teams. That would be an incredible opportunity."

"Yeah, maybe."

"What's holding you back?"

"At this point, not a lot," I answered, before Vlatko came in to talk to us about our game plan. Emily was confused, and fair enough, but I couldn't keep talking about it, and Vlatko saved me in that respect.