Chapter 10 - BVD and Sauce

After the Netherlands game, we headed back to England for a few more games until Christmas break. We were sitting comfortably in 4th, but all we wanted was to get into the top three. It was a hard place to crack though. City, Arsenal and Chelsea have been the dominant teams since the WSL began, so we knew if we wanted any chance to make that top three, we were going to have to give it our all.

Emily came over to England with me, after the Netherlands game. She was to spend a few weeks in Manchester until she was set to go back to Georgia to spend Christmas with her family. I, on the other hand, was heading to the Mewis' for Christmas, with Sam. It's been a tradition now for too many years now, and it was something I could never break.

"Do you reckon I could come watch a game?" Emily asked, as we sat on my couch.

"Of course. I'll sneak you in," I replied, smiling at her, my head resting on her shoulder. It was dark outside, and the Manchester moon was shining through my window. As I stared out at the city lights, I knew that this was going to be my new home. This was my new happy place, and it was only better that Emily was here with me.

The next morning, I left to head to training before our first game since international break. Emily was still asleep when I left, and I didn't wake her. We were both very tired after travelling back to England the day before, and I knew she needed her sleep.

When I arrived at the training ground, I headed to our common room to make myself a coffee. I needed coffee to get my energy pumping, knowing it was imperative to have a good training session before our game against Tottenham on the weekend. I saw Ella and Millie sitting on the couches, relaxing before our training.

"Hey girls," I said to them, as I went over to the coffee machine.

"BVD, can you please tell Tooney that I'd look terrible as a brunette!" Millie asked.

"Don't you think Mills could rock brown hair?" Ella added, playing with Millie's ponytail.

"Toone, I won't lie, I think Mills is a blonde at heart."

"Thank you!" Millie answered, "my point proven!"

We had our training, and everything went as normal. When we practised shooting, I would be hitting the back of the net, and as we ran set plays, I'd be chilling in the box, waiting to put the ball in the goal. It was fun to be scoring a consistent amount, not just in games, but also training. I knew that's what the team needed me to do and I was happy that I was able to do it. It was my job. It was what I was good at.

"Good training today, guys," Marc said, as we finished up, "I hope that we get that win against Tottenham. We'd only be a few points behind Arsenal on the ladder, and would push our chances for top 3. Let's make this one count!"

"I got you a seat at the game," I said to Emily, as I arrived home.

"Awesome!" she replied, "Make sure you score a few so I can watch."

"Well, that's the plan," I laughed back.

I headed to the game, earlier than Emily, to ensure I was warmed up before the match. As I entered the changing room, most of the girls had already arrived.

"BVD in the house!" Tooney shouted, laughing.

"Top scorer is ready to add a few," Millie added. I went over to them, and playfully nudged them both, embarrassed by what they were saying. As I went and sat under my number, I started thinking about the game in my head. I knew we had to come out and start firing early. I knew we had to put some goals on the board in order to settle our nerves. While I was contemplating the game in my head, Jackie went over to her locker. She was number 14, and I was 12. Only 13 separated us, and since no player was 13, our lockers were side by side.