Chapter 26 - Headlining

As I stared at my phone, reading the headline that Jackie sent me, a new pit formed in my stomach. For years I have been able to live without people even assuming me to be alive. I changed my name, moved countries and started a whole new life. The whole world thought Willow was dead, and, honestly, she was... she is. That girl I am, or was, isn't around anymore. I am Bradie, and that won't change. At least, I don't think it will.

I quickly messaged Jackie back.

Bradie: how did this even happen?

Jackie: apparently the police got a new lead?

Bradie: but its a closed case??

Jackie: well, they've had an anonymous tip.

Bradie: wtf??

Jackie: its so strange. How many people even know?

Bradie: two - you and my aunt.

Jackie: this is really fucked up.

Bradie: this can't come back to me.

Jackie: it won't. Don't stress.

Bradie: kinda hard not to.

Jackie: r u going to be at training? We can talk then.

Bradie: ill be late. Just getting back home from airport now.

Jackie: ok, see you then.

I grabbed a taxi from the airport and headed back to my apartment. When I arrived, I knew I wouldn't be able to be alone for long. I had a quick shower, popped on my training gear, and headed to the pitch. Although I was very tired, and knew I needed rest, I could sense that my brain would not let me sleep, even if I tried. My mind was working in overdrive and the best thing, at the moment, would be to see my team and my friends.

"BVD!" Tooney called out.

"Hey my girl!" I called back, as I walked onto the pitch. I was thirty minutes late, but no one was too worried. They were all just glad I came.

"Hey Brads," Millie Turner said, giving me a slight hug. I smiled at her, noticing she was slightly more quiet than usual but I didn't let that phase me.

"Come take some shots!" Mary called to me, from the goal, "and let me show you how I can save all of them!"

"Oh you wish!" I joked back.

I ran over to the goal, and started doing some shooting practice. Jackie was over with Marc, talking with him. We don't say hi or make a fuss, we just quietly acknowledge each other's existence and that is what works best for us.

As we lined up for some shooting, she stood behind me in the line.

"How are you?" She asked.

"Trying not to think about it," I answered.

"We can talk later then," she replied, just as it was my turn. I ran onto the ball, hitting it hard with my left foot, shooting it to the back of the net.

"Nice one," Mary said, smiling.

"Next time," I replied, sarcastically.

After training, I hung around on the field, making up for the 30 minutes that I missed at the start of the session. I took some shots, made some runs, and practised my skills. It was chill, and quiet, allowing me time to think, even though I thought I didn't want to.

"BRADIE!" I heard someone call out. When I looked over, it was Jackie.

"WHAT?" I called back. She gestured me over, and I ran, thinking something bad had happened.