Chapter 51 - Issues

A lot of things were racing through my mind over the next week. For starters, we had the manager issue. I knew I couldn't stay quiet, like I had hoped. I knew I couldn't be passive. I needed to use the voice I had. The voice I had meticulously been forming throughout my struggles, throughout my life.

Then there was also another issue. An issue I had been pushing into the back of my mind. I couldn't be the reason someone I used to love wasn't happy. I couldn't be that person. I needed to talk to her. I needed to talk to Emily. It was only right.

"So," Sam said to me, on facetime, "what's the plan?"

"We need to contact Juliette," I replied.

"I was hoping you would say that."

"But, have you ever spoken to her? Would that just be weird?"

"Possibly," Sam replied, "but we won't know unless we try, right?"

"I guess." I was nervous. I felt a pit in my stomach so deep I couldn't quite find the origin. Was I scared about going on the record? Was I scared about the possibility of him actually becoming my coach? Or was I just scared that my name would be in the paper yet again? Most likely a combination of the three.

"I will text her," Sam then said, "I'm the one that started this, so all you have to do is turn up when we meet." I was glad she was taking that initiative. I'm not sure I would be able to muster up the courage to do that.

"Okay," Sam soon said, "What about this: 'Hey Ettie, I know this is really random but I'd really like to talk to you. Please give me a ring when you can.' Does that sound okay? I don't really want to put what we want to talk to her about in a text."

"Yeah, that's good I think."

"Okay, great. Brads, don't think about this too much until I hear a response. There is no point worrying unnecessarily." I knew she could sense my fears. Sense my worries. She was my best friend. Always has been.

She sent the message, and within 15 minutes, Sam's phone was ringing.

"Is that her?" I asked, and Sam nodded.

"Do I pick up?" She asked.

"What the hell, yes you pick up!"

"But I'm nervous." As she said this, the phone continued to ring.

"Samantha June Mewis, pick up that phone!"

"Sam?" Ettie said, over the phone. I could hear her voice through the facetime, and it quivered with fear. I could tell.

"Hey Ettie, thanks for calling me back," Sam replied, staring at me, not knowing what to say.

"Is everything alright?" Ettie asked.

"Yeah, I'm coming to London in a few weeks to see my sister and what not, and I wanted to actually talk to you about some things." I gave Sam a thumbs up to tell her she was saying all the right things.

"Yeah, sure, is there anything in particular?" Ettie asked again.

"Yeah, there is," Sam replied, trying to talk through gritted teeth, "it's about the old City manager." The phone went silent for a moment, before Sam asked: "you still there, Ettie?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm here," she replied, trying to speak, "we can talk, just let me know when you're in town and we can grab coffee or something."

"Great, thank you. I know this is a bit strange but thanks, Ettie. I really appreciate it." Ettie and Sam both hung up the phone, and I could sense the relief go through Sam's body, and my own.