Chapter 12 - 2019

One Year Earlier

It was the final of the World Cup. We beat England in the semis to progress to the last game of the tournament, against the Netherlands. The Netherlands had been strong recently. They had won the Euros, and we knew they were going to be hard to beat. They had star players. Miedema. Van De Donk. Roord. All players that were going to give their heart and soul for their country. It was going to be tough.

I was still young. Very young in fact. Besides Tierna, I was the youngest member of the squad. But despite this barrier, I was playing as if my life depended on it.

Before the start of the match, I was sitting with Sam outside the locker room. We were calming ourselves down before having to play in the biggest game of our lives.

"What are you thinking about?" She asked me, as we waited for the game to start, in Lyon.

"My parents," I replied, "They died in Lyon, and now here we are, playing the biggest match of our lives. Things really do come full circle."

"You've never really talked about them," Sam said, "what were they like?" I never really mentioned my parents before. They were around in a part of my life that I often tried to push to the furthest part in my mind. The grief I experienced after their death, was something I try hard to not feel. It fills me with resentment, for what happened.

"They were incredible," I answered, "they were this shining beacon. They were everything I wanted to be in life."

"What happened?" Sam asked.

"It's complicated," I replied, looking away.

"You can tell me, if you want." I looked at Sam, not knowing if I wanted to tell her.

"They were killed," I replied. I had done it. I told Sam.

"Oh my god," she replied, not really knowing what to say.

"I really am dropping that bombshell right before the biggest game of our lives," I laughed.

"Gives both of us even more incentive to go out there and win this damn thing."

And she was right. We beat the Netherlands in that final. We had won the World Cup. The game went by like a blur, and when I drew a foul in the second half, and Pinoe scored, we were only half an hour away. Then Rose scored, and we had done it. We were world champions.

I pushed past one of the Dutch players, to run over to Sam. we jumped into each other's arms, and our hearts could finally settle. We had done it.

When we were presented with the trophy, I couldn't help but think about my parents. All I wanted was for them to be proud of me. For them to be looking over me, proud of what their daughter had done.

"We did it!" I said to Sam, as we took pictures with the trophy.

"I can't believe it."

Later, I posted on my instagram, a photo of me with Sam, holding the trophy. I also put a photo of me and Emily, smiling at each other after we had won.

Bradievandyk: we did it. 2019 world champs

Sammymewyy: proud of uuuuu bvd

Emilysonnett: too cool for school

Kmewis19: omgggg my girls <3

Lavellerose: #winnersaregrinners

Later that evening, after the celebrations had died down, I sat with Emily in our hotel room. We were both exhausted after the long game and celebrations.

"I feel like I'm on cloud nine," I said to her, "and I don't think I'll ever get off it."

"Same," she answered, her arms wrapped around me, "nothing will ever get close to this feeling."

Present

I looked at the message for what felt like hours. What did Jackie finally want to say? Why did she want to talk? This had been a long time coming, and I think we both knew it. We needed to become somewhat civilised in order to finally have the team environment we both wanted. But I was also scared. What did she know? And how did she know it?

When Sam and I headed back to Manchester, I replied to Jackie.

Bradie: yeah sure, just let me know when you want to meet.

Jackie: later today. Meet at ground?

Bradie: yeah, sure

I was confused. I didn't know where this was heading. I didn't know what any of it meant. My brain was filled with these impulsive and intrusive thoughts, and something about this didn't sit right with me. I knew there must've been a reason. I knew it couldn't be out of nothing, but maybe it was. Maybe she just didn't like me. Who knows. But I guess I will be finding out soon.

"I'm going out," I said to Sam, walking into her apartment before heading out.

"Where are you going?"

"Surprisingly enough, I'm meeting Groenen."

"Jackie Groenen?" Sam questioned.

"Yeah."

"I thought-"

"Yeah, so did I. But she wanted to meet and maybe she might actually give me an explanation. Who knows at this point."

"Just be careful, and let me know if you need a ride or something," Sam shouted back as I walked out.

"Will do."

As I walked to meet Jackie, so many thoughts rushed through my brain. I heard my phone start to ring, and when I picked it up, I had an unknown number.

"Hello, this is Bradie speaking," I said into the phone.

"Brads, it's me," someone said over the phone.

"Who is me?" I asked, laughing.

"Kelley, you idiot!"

"Why isn't your name coming up then?"

"I got a new phone," she answered.

"Well, Kell, what do you need?"

"I want to see if you want to come on my podcast?"

"You really want me?" I asked.

"Yeah, you're one of the most interesting people I know," Kelley joked.

"I'm not sure," I replied, apprehensive about the whole situation. There was a lot in my life that the world didn't know. A lot of things that I kept private.

"Well, you don't have to, but I reckon it'd be fun."

"Fuck it, sure, I'll do it. Let me know when you want to record and I'll be there."

"Awesome! Thanks Brads. Everyone is going to love it!" I hung up the phone, and stopped walking suddenly. I was going to have to be very careful about what I will say.

When I arrived at the field, I saw her standing there. She was sitting on the pitch, her blonde hair tied up. Something about this gave me deja vu. As if, I've been in this situation before.

"Hi," I said, walking over to her.

"Hey," she replied. I sat down beside her, feeling the cold grass on my legs. We didn't talk for a while, but the silence wasn't awkward. It was peaceful.

"Is there a reason why we're here?"

"Well, yeah," she replied, laughing slightly. Jackie laughing? That's something I hadn't heard of.

"Do you want to start or..." I asked.

"I think," she started to say, "you should first tell me who you actually are and why are you pretending to be Bradie Van Dyk?"