Chapter 2 - Coach

We had our first training the following day. I was on facetime with Emily, before Tobin and Christen picked me up from my apartment.

"What was the coach like?" Emily asked, as I was getting ready for training. It was midnight in Portland, but she didn't want to sleep until I was off to training.

"Well, babe, they call the coach the manager here," I replied.

"Well, sorry!" Emily joked back while I laughed

"Yeah, he's pretty good. I mean, I've met him once. But, I'm sure it'll be fine." Emily looked at me through the phone. She had her lights turned off, but the brightness of the screen was reflecting off her face.

"Let me know how it all goes, okay? I don't care if you need to call when it's 6am, but try not 4am, you know how I hate 4am gym sessions." Emily's a jokester. She always has been. That's what first drew me to her. She knew how to make a sarcastic comment or a funny one liner.

"Don't worry babe, I remember your bad moods on those 4am wake ups." I saw a text pop up, from Christen.

Press: we're here

"Em, I've gotta go. Tobs and Press are here."

"Ok, I love you."

"Love you too."

I went downstairs, and hopped in the car.

"You ready?" Tobin asked, as we drove to training.

"I guess," I replied, "I've not been new to a team in years."

"You'll be great," Christen answered, "we'll be there too." I smiled at this. Tobin and Christen have been mentors to me for several years now. When I first broke into the USWNT, they both helped me settle within an environment that can often seem daunting. An environment that can often make or break one's career.

When we arrived at training, all the players came out to meet us. Most of them bore smiles on their faces, excited to have three American players competing for their side rather than against.

"Now," Marc said to the team, as we stood in a circle on the pitch, "I'm really happy to introduce to you all our new signings. This is Tobin, Christen and Bradie. We've scored really big here guys, so let's make them very welcome." The girls all clapped, while I stood slightly behind Christen, trying to make her protect me from all the new people.

While the girls started warming up, Christen turned around to me and whispered in my ear.

"Don't be scared," she said quietly, "be the amazing Bradie we all know." I smiled at her, and started stretching before the training began.

"So, you're Bradie right?" One of the blonde girls said to me, as we started to train.

"Yeah," I answered.

"I'm Millie, Millie Turner." Millie Turner. I forgot about that situation.

"Oh, it's great to meet you," I said, putting a forced smile on my face. Millie Turner has been a topical conversation with Sam, Kristie, Indi and I recently. Since Rachel and Kristie broke up, Millie's been Rachel's new 'person'. Kristie doesn't care, but both Sam and I are slightly on edge about the whole situation.

But, to be fair, she seemed nice enough. I can't hold a grudge against someone for no reason, can I?

I met the rest of the girls too, players such as Ella Toone, and Mary Earps. They were all so lovely, that I was having a hard time finding anything wrong. Until I saw a glare. A glare from a girl who hadn't spoken, and from someone who I hardly suspected. Jackie Groenen.