Chapter 50 - The Party

"Do you have to go?" Jackie asked me, as we lay in bed before I was flying to Boston that day.

"I'm sorry," I said to her, "it's tradition."

"Surely you will spend Christmas with me?" She said, glittering her eyes at me.

"You know I want to," I answered, "you could always come with me?" I smiled.

"I've got to go home," she replied. It was annoying that we couldn't spend Christmas together, but I had to go home and see my family and she had to go and see hers.

"We'll see each other in less than a week," I said.

"I know."

"And there's Millie's party that we've been invited to, so we'll see each other in London."

"Yeah, I know," she said, "I'll see you then."

I left Manchester that day, and flew across the pond to Boston. I went through my usual routine: went to my parents' grave, said hello to Josie and Peter, and then soon arrived at the Mewis'.

"Hey," Sam said, as I opened the door.

"Hi!" I answered, giving my best friend a hug.

"I thought Jackie might be with you," Sam questioned.

"She had to go home to see her family."

"Well, I'm happy you're here. We have the whole squad too, besides Indi."

"Is she in Australia?" I asked.

"Yeah, her first Christmas there in a very long time."

"Well, I'm glad I am here."

"Me too," she replied.

When I walked in, Sam Kerr and Kristie were laying on the couch, eating some cookies Kristie had most likely made earlier.

"Hey Brads," Kristie said to me, getting up to give me a hug.

"Hey Sam," I called out to her girlfriend.

"Hi!" She called back.

We spent Christmas as we normally did, chatting, eating, drinking and having fun. Bob and Mel came over multiple times over the next few days, and it was nice being in the family environment I never truly had.

"We should talk," Sam said to me on Christmas night.

"Yeah," I said, knowing what she was talking about, "want to go into the other room?" She nodded and we left the couch where Sam, Kristie, Pat, Mel and Bob were sitting.

"I want to do it," Sam said, as we closed the door.

"I know you do."

"I want to speak out, make the culture safer."

"And I want you to do that."

"I need support though," Sam added, "I need more voices than just one."

"Do you have those?"

"Well, there's you."

"Sam..."

"I know it's scary Bradie, I know that. But, you are a big name. You have a platform."

"I just don't know if I can go through that much media attention again," I added.

We stood in silence for a few moments, before I asked another question.

"Do you have anyone else?"

"All I know is Juliette Walsh."