Chapter 39 - Back

Being back with the team was the best feeling in the world. It finally felt as if I was whole again. The past two months had been interesting to say the least. United were trying their best to keep up with Arsenal and Chelsea while still trying to stay in front of City. It was so important for us and the team that we were able to get that 3rd champions league spot. It would mean the world if our club was able to achieve something that great.

"How are you?" Millie asked, as we sat in the locker room, before our game against Tottenham.

"It feels weird, being back."

"That's understandable. Will we ever know why you guys left?" Millie asked, suspiciously. I looked at her, with a plea in my eye for her to not ask me any questions.

"Maybe," I answered, "but right now, what we need to focus on is winning our last few games." Millie nodded her head, and I could only hope that she understood what I was laying on the table.

Before we went out, Jackie came over to me.

"Ready to rekindle the connection?" Jackie joked. I smiled at her, looking deeply into her eyes. We hadn't talked much since the kiss. We both didn't really know what to do. It felt so strange that as soon as we did have that moment, we were set free. As soon as our lips collided, our world suddenly fell back into place. Maybe we were meant to be, or maybe it was a sign that we weren't?

"Of course," I answered, "I am just so excited to get back onto the field."

We walked out onto the pitch, and when I saw the crowds of red, I knew this was where I belonged. On the pitch, with my team, not stuck in some safe house in America. I knew it was going to be dangerous. I knew the world would soon find out that I wasn't Bradie Van Dyk, but, for this moment in time, I knew I could still be me. I could still be Bradie, without having to explain Willow Meyer to the world.

As the game started, I already felt at peace. Ella was controlling the midfield, playing as the 10, allowing me to be an attacking presence, fulfilling the traditional 9 role. Multiple times, I was sent balls but none were placed in the position I needed. None were giving me the freedom to go on and score. Until Jackie started getting into the game.

She played me a through ball, surpassing the Tottenham's centre backs. I was one on one with the keeper, and as I went to kick the ball, I moved it to my left, and smacked it hard. It skidded into the back of the net, and we were up. I ran over to Jackie, jumping on her. The entire team rallied behind us both, all of them pleased that we were back and our connection never did die out. 

After I slotted my second goal in the second half, assisted by Ella this time, Marc subbed me off. We were already up 3-0, as I scored a brace and Leah scored a blinder from outside the box. Playing a full 90, after only being back a few days, wouldn't have been the smartest idea.

"Amazing, Bradie," Marc said, as I went to sit down after coming off the pitch, "we really did miss you."

After the game, I was interviewed as the player of the match. I was surprised by this accolade but went over to do the interview.

"Well, Bradie, fantastic return to the WSL. How did it feel being back out there with United?" The interviewer asked me.

"Yeah, it was great," I replied, "It had been a long few months and I had been dying to get back and be with my girls again. Scoring those two goals was really just the icing on the cake."

"Now, I know your leave of absence was sudden, what was all the confusion about? Are you at liberty to explain?" I laughed slightly, knowing what the interviewer was trying to angle at.

"Not yet," I replied, "but I think everything will come to light soon. But for the meantime, I'm just personally focusing on getting back into the best form I possibly can be in for my team."