Chapter 41 - Interview

I was emailed several times in the hope that I would open up about my story. Different news sites wanted to have the exclusive interview with Bradie Van Dyk, and although I was ready to share my story, I wasn't sure how I wanted to go about it. I knew it was going to be a tough conversation to have, and although I was ready to have it, I just wanted to ensure that it would be done in an environment that made me comfortable.

"Have you decided what you're going to do yet?" Jackie asked me, as we sat on my couch. It was now the off season, and I was headed back to the US soon to see Sam, my family and get prepared for our CONCACAF tournament in July.

"Not yet," I said, "but I need to decide soon."

"How many news sites want your story?" She asked.

"A lot," I answered, "too many even." She grabbed my hand, and gave it a slight squeeze. It hadn't been weird between us, but we definitely had unresolved tensions. We both didn't know what any of it meant, and not wanting to ruin what we had, we didn't talk about it. Neither of us wanted to say something and then ruin what we had.

Over the next few days, I ended up accepting an interview. It was with a smaller, lesser known company, which I thought would be better than a giant mega corporation. I was to head down to London, stay with Indi, do the interview then head across the the US. Jackie was going to head to Holland to see her family, while I was in London, and then get prepared for her camp.

When we said goodbye, I realised that I wasn't going to see her for a little over a month. We both weren't prepared for what that meant, but ignored it. We didn't want to have to come to terms with it. Its an unnatural thing: to be away from the person you feel most at home with for so long.

When I arrived in London, I was greeted by Indi at the train station.

"Hi!" She said, smiling wide as I got off the train.

"Hey," I replied, giving her a hug, "how've you been?" She looked at me, with a slight tinge in her eyes.

"There's a lot to catch you up on."

She ended up telling me all about Jill, and although, in my head at least, Jill was just the girl who wore my necklace for a few years, to Indi, Jill was her world. She was everything. Knowing that Jill was moving away, and Indi thought that it was her holding Jill back, made me feel for indi. All that girl has in her heart is love, and it breaks my own knowing that she doesn't feel worthy of love herself.

"But girl," Indi said, turning to me with a coffee in her hand, "there's been even more going on with you!" I laugh slightly.

"Yeah..."

"Care to fill me in? Are you really Willow Meyer?"
"Yeah, I guess I am."

"Very impressed you were able to keep that a secret for so long?! Did Emily even know?" Emily. Shit. I hadn't even thought about her. I never even told her before we broke up. She must've found out like everyone else did. Through the internet. Now I feel like a right bitch. How could I have done that to her? Four years of dating and I let her find out my biggest secret on the internet.

"No, she didn't know. No one did."

"Sometimes I think my problems are big," Indi started to say, "until I realise that some people are secretly spies fighting to save the world."

"I'm no spy, Inds. I am just a girl from Boston, who got caught up in a real, big mess."

"So, you have an interview tomorrow?" She asked.

"Yeah, I'm going on record, telling my story."

"That's really brave," Indi said, looking at me.

"You think so?"
"Of course. Any time someone talks about their life, especially if it is a rocky past, it's brave. You're coming out of the comfort you know and being vulnerable. It's very brave."
"I just hope I'm doing the right thing," I said.