Chapter 27 - Worries

I tried to push all the Willow thoughts to the back of my mind. If I let it infiltrate my brain, I knew it would make me even more worried. We had the quarter finals coming up and I could not get complacent. We were up against Arsenal and it was going to be a big match. Although Arsenal were the favourites, they had been dropping in form recently so we knew it was our time to pull it together and get the win.

"How are you feeling?" Jackie asked me, as we were on the bus down to London.

"I'm alright," I answered.

"Are you worried or...?"

"Honestly, Jack, I'm just trying not to think about it," I replied.

"Ok," she answered, "so we won't think about it then." I looked at her, smiling, knowing that she understood. She knew not to push. She knew how to handle it, unlike me.

When we arrived at Meadow park, I walked out beside Ella, who was chatting away like usual.

"So, when I arrived home," Ella said, her English accent heavily prevalent in her speech, "my feet were aching and I think I flopped onto my bed, and nearly broke it!"

"Wow, Ell, that's the most interesting story I've ever heard!" I said sarcastically, laughing. She gave me a playful punch, and we walked into the changing room together.

I sat down under my number 12 jersey, which had Van Dyk printed across the back. Sometimes I wonder what would happen if Meyer was written there instead. Would I feel any different? Would I be a different person knowing that I was being my 'true' self? Maybe, maybe not. But at least for this moment, I was a Van Dyk. That wouldn't change.

"You alright?" I asked Millie, as we were about to head out. She looked at me, and a forced smile came across her face.

"I want to play," she replied.

"You are playing?" I questioned.

"Something just doesn't feel right," she answered. I looked at her, slightly worried.

"Are you going to be okay?" I asked her. She nodded, but I wasn't convinced.

"I'll be fine," Millie replied, "let's just see how this game goes. We need to win it." I grabbed her hand, rubbed it softly and replied.

"We will win it."

I was last to walk out, making sure that I had left all my negative thoughts in the changing room. I couldn't let the issues from the past few weeks manifest themselves into this game. I would not let that happen.

When I walked out, I felt the cold, London wind blowing on my face. All the Arsenal fans came to support their team and I knew this game was going to be hard. I spotted Indi in the Arsenal squad, and gave her a quick smile, and wave. I hadn't seen her for a few months, especially because she missed the annual Christmas with the Mewies. Instead, she had Christmas with Jill, who also started the game.

Soon it was kick off, and I was put at the front, alongside Ella and Alessia, although I wasn't playing as the striker. Alessia was in as the striker and I was helping out on the left wing. It felt weird being on the wing, but sometimes you have to be uncomfortable in order to get the reaping rewards.

We were the more dominant side in the game. Indi and Leah were having to do a lot of work in order to keep the ball out of the net, and maintain the 0-0 scoreline. Arsenal weren't able to penetrate our defence, which was led by Millie. Millie was that voice of reason in the backline, and she was vital for our team.

Katie was controlling the midfield, and she had Jackie by her side to help. A few times that slid balls to me and the others on the front line, but Indi was able to get their first, and block most of the shots.