♠ 47 - Bullseye

Curtis

The sound of water dripping was the first thing I heard when I regained consciousness. I slowly opened my eyes, blinked a couple of times to adjust to the lighting. Emily was seated by my side, touching my forehead with a damp cloth.

"Fancy seeing you here." I smiled warmly.

"Don't make me regret looking after you."

I beamed reminiscing how she strongly opposed coming to the trip with us. "Thanks for tagging along, Em."

"Mom was worried about you. I told her to go rest while I watched you." If I didn't know my sister the way I did, I would've said she showed little sign of affection then shrugged it off.

"Thank you for looking after me." I said. She gulped hard and I watched her expression soften again as she put the damp cloth on me.

"She's finally awake." Milton announced, walking in.

"Was I really out that long?" I asked.

"2 hours." Emily said and lifted from my side. "I'll prepare dinner. Spaghetti and chicken sounds nice, sis?"

"Who are you and what have you done with Emily?"

"For the record, you're still a terrible person. I still think you're a terrible person. So don't flatter yourself." She said and she began packing our the items she used to care for me.

Under my breath, I murmured. "Rude little..."

"How're you feeling?" Milton trailed me off.

"A whole lot better."

"What actually happened back there?"

"I don't know. I got so dizzy." I put a hand on my forehead, checking my temperature but it was normal.

"PTSD?"

"Uhhh. I think... I'm not so good with seeing blood, dead bodies."

"Weakling." He chuckled.

"Really?" I cocked a brow at him.

"Has it happened before?"

"No." I said, clenching my tummy as a flash memory of dead bodies crossed my mind. "It has never happened before."

"You might want to take a pregnancy test." Emily's voice echoed from a corner in the room.

I laughed hysterically. "You're not serious, are you? There's no way I could actually be pregnant."

What if you are? That thought along with a mixture of emotions swarmed through me. It was a vast flow of fear, sadness, pain and happiness all at once.

Milton cleared his throat and it knocked me out of my thought. "Well... I'm sure your husband would find... such a news pleasing." He said with an uncomfortable tone and a smile.

I've had enough experience to dissect a fake smile when I saw one.

There goes that awkward silence again.

•~

We were at the hospital the next day.

As planned, Seth's case was submitted to the doctor. He'd been given a private ward and treatment was to begin as soon as possible.

Seth's treatment was happening in one of the best hospitals and by one of the best doctors. Milton made all this a reality. I appreciated him severally on behalf of my family but he'd mention it was part of the business deal and it was nothing. Seth was so happy to finally get treated. He said, he couldn't wait to be on his feet to start working on his gadgets and his ladies. Crazy kid.