♠ 14- The woods

There stood a man in the shadow, holding an axe. I couldn't tell what he wore because it was so dark, his body was huge, and it seemed like he had a long beard. I stood there stunned, for some reason my feet remained glued to the spot. He began taking slow steps towards me, with the axe giving sparks as he glided it on the the tar road. Now fully aware i was in trouble, i took slow steps backward as he came closer. Two other men burst out from the woods behind me, without axes. I couldn't see their faces but they looked dirty. All three men gave the same aura of danger. They had me cornered on all sides, as they began to move in a circle, having me at the centre.

"Look what we have here, a lost princess." One of the axe less man said, with a mischievous grin as he held my arm, observing and inhaling my scent. I quickly withdrew my hand from his grip.

"Indeed, this one would make fine meat." The other axe less man remarked, while caressing my wet hair, making me squeak in fear and pulling myself away from his feel. They stopped moving in circles, and all three were giving me creepy stares.

"I'm not lost, I'm on my way to the city. If you kind gentlemen would let me go." I blurted out. They all laughed hysterically, like i was telling a joke.

"Say, we'll give you a 10 seconds head start to reach the city. Or else..." The one with the axe said as he swung the axe expertly in his hand.

"10..."

"9..."

"You don't have to tell me twice." I murmured and quickly turned on my heels, running.

I didn't get far enough, when i turned to see them pursuing me. Every minute i turned, they got closer to catching me. If only i didn't bail sports classes in high school, i could have gone farther but now, i was running for my life and i was at a disadvantage. I didn't know where i was going, it was raining, it was dark and one of the men had an axe, if he was as good i thought, he could hit me over a distance. I needed to act fast, they were catching up with me so i decided to enter the woods for camouflag that had different numerous trees for cover. My eyes caught a large oak tree and i ran behind it to hide. Once there, i steadied myself, inhaled and exhaled to calm my heart that panted rapidly as i tried to stay as quiet as possible.

"Find the girl, she must not reach the city!" One of the men said.

I closed my eyes and exhaled then peeped from the side and saw the three men split up to search for me, the good news is they weren't heading for my direction. I remained where i was, my heart still panting, i was so scared that i was sweating even with the rain drops. After a minute, i peeped again to check if they were gone and the area was clear of them. I was about to step out of the tree when an axe swung towards me in full force, nearly slicing my body in half. I was so shocked, and i screamed.

"Oh, dear." I whispered, realizing the consequences.

"She's over there!" I heard one yell.

I turned and saw all three men heading for me. "Shit, shit, shit, shit." I cursed as i began running, making my way through the vines that lined the forest.

I found a tree arc, and i lay low under it to hide. I hid there, when suddenly i heard footsteps approaching the tree arc, one of the axe less men came by to search the area. As he was about turning to find me, i quietly moved to the other side of the arc. After i was sure he was gone, i stood up to move ahead when a hand covered my mouth tightly, and i let out a muffled scream. The body behind turned me to look at his face and it was him, he came back for me. I didn't think twice, i embraced him like he was the air i breath, like he was my everything. I didn't care if this was right or not, i just needed it now. I was shivering and panting alot, but when his arms came around and wrapped me, i felt safe. It took me a moment to regain myself then i broke the embrace to look into his eyes, he looked worried and desperate.