♠ 49 - A crude man

~•Shawn•~

The amount of things on my mind were driving me from solace to a point of anger. Tension crippling my bones, cold shivers writhing within me. Loosening my tie was the best way to cool off as I was losing every bit of patience within me. I pulled my sleeve backward to check time on my watch. It's been 6 hours.

My legs were crossed with the lower one tapping. Bet if this chair I sat on had a mind of its own, It'd eject me. I was so tensed and restless, yet I could feel every movement in the room, hear every sound no matter how hard I tried to block the conversation and minor questions thrown at me. I'd just simply nod, maybe then they'd notice I wasn't interested neither was I in the mood.

This man Mei mentioned to me, had been following my wife around town. I believe his name was Milton.  Everything about him was mid and I couldn't care less. We locked eyes a few times and I didn't hesitate to give a cold intimidating stare back, a stare not holding back my disgust.

I bet the feeling was mutual.

"Shawn son, have a drink at least. You haven't had anything since you came." Curtis' mother who sat on the adjacent sit between me and Milton said to me.

My wife has been missing for two days. Two freaking days! Yet these people expect me to be okay!

I subtly declined with a head shake, turning my head to another direction. But the view I got from that direction was the sweet topping on my anger. Two jokers dressed in black. According to the ridiculous story put before me, they were hired by Curtis to guard her family. I took careful glances at them and concluded they were crooks. Why the hell would Curtis hire goons as bodyguards? Pathetic. Something was definitely up.

The anger in me skyrocketed as I began to recall the BS I've been told since I arrived. More loosing of my tie, more tapping of my feet. The fact that these people have been so calm and collected irked my soul. These people have to be freaking kidding me.

According to another BS story put before me, Curtis called home the previous day and said she had some work to do outside the city. Guess what, they believed. They freaking believed. Let's suppose she did call, the fact that this Milton guy didn't bother to check if she told the truth cancelled everything about him.

"Shawn son, but you look worried. Is there something bothering you?" I simply shook my head to shove off her mother's worry.

Meanwhile inside me, I was joggling with Milton's lack of guard, the jokers in the house, Curtis' unprecedented whereabouts and phone call. How could I be okay?

I was about giving another nod when Milton's words came, "You know Ms Rollins, I haven't seen a more crude man in all my life. Till I met your son-in-law today."

I halted. The entire room, all activities seemed to be at a stand still as silence and tension echoed in the atmosphere. My thoughts? Misjudged, no. Astonished, yes.

It is said that when a door closes, it means another door is about to open. I fisted both hands tightly in anticipation.

"Milton," Curtis' mother giggled nervously. "W-what are you saying?"

This anger I was trying so hard to bottle up. Milton was about to open that door.

"It's the fact he's been uninterested in the topic and glaring at me." He said to Curtis' mother, then faced me. "Does my presence bother you?"

I chuckled darkly, loosening my tie. Adjusting my intimidating and dominant figure, fit for what was about to unleash. "What an extraordinary man you are. It's the audacity for you to think you can speak to me."