Chapter 24

A/N I was able to find sometime to write today. Enjoy!

Buster's POV

Hearing Red talk and watching Little Bird's reactions felt like a new form of torture. The more I heard about Drake the more I want to rip him limb from limb. My poor Little Bird has survived so much, and she has no idea how strong she really is. I'm going to show her. She's going to realize she is so much more than her tortured past.

"Indi, you're not them. You've more than proven that. Stop trying to take on the guilt that only belongs to your dad and Drake." Red said.

Bird, put her face in her hands and I could tell she was crying. I reached over and pulled her hands away from her face and she looked up into my eyes. "You're not them Little Bird. You're so much more." She shocked me when she let out a cry and threw her hands around my neck burying her face in my neck. I froze for a few seconds and then I reached and gently picked up my woman. I expected her to possibly fight me, but she allowed it. I sat on her bed and sat her on my lap.

Felicia cleared her throat causing everyone to turn from Bird to look at her. "I think that is enough for now. How about we pick this back up tomorrow." Red gave her a nod, "Is that okay with you Indi?"

Indi nodded her head. Felicia gave me a small smile before gathering her things and quietly leaving. Indi's shoulders were still shaking from her sobs.

Screw spoke up, "I'm gonna help Red into a wheelchair and then take her to get some fresh air. Doc said it would be good for her to get some vitamin D after her being inside so much." It only took them a few minutes to exit.

When the door closed, I slowly adjusted Little Bird so that we were laying down and she was still in my arms. I began rubbing circles on her back until I noticed her sobs were getting quieter and slowing down. With that, I gently pulled her head away from my neck so that I could look into her eyes, "Talk to me Little Bird." I pleased with her.

She took a deep breath, "I've just never experienced these things in my whole life. I don't want to do with them."

"What haven't you experienced."

"Understanding, forgiveness, being cared for, but mostly feeling safe. I cannot remember anytime I ever felt safe. Certainly not growing up and even after I escaped them, I was always looking over my shoulder waiting for the monsters to jump out and say boo. I was so uncomfortable coming here. Usually, I would say it was because of all the men. I've never felt comfortable around men, how could I when the men who were supposed to be my protectors were the ones I needed protecting from." Indi shrugged with that, while she was talking, she'd taken my hand and was drawing circles on it. I loved her initiating touch with me and the skin contact. "There was something else though. Something I could figure out. When you were around me or just watching me that feeling was stronger. After I left, I spent months trying to figure out what that feeling was. Finally, I figured it out, I felt safe. That's how foreign it was to me, that I couldn't even figure it out. You make me feel more. Something I never thought I would be able to feel, after everything." She got quiet after that.

I puffed out my chest a bit at the knowledge she felt safest around me. Plus, she felt more for me. I can tell these things scared her. I got how feeling things for me would scare her, but not how feeling safe would. "Why does it scare you that I make you feel safe?"

She looked down and her fingers that hadn't stopped drawing patterns on my hand. "Because, what if you change your mind? What if you get tired of me? What if you decide I'm too broken? What if you are disgusted when you see the scars that I have? What if you all kick me out because you decide all my baggage isn't worth the danger it puts you in? What if..."