Chapter 21 - Coriander and Squid

Chapter 21 – Coriander and Squid

One week later “Beyond Jade and Gold” had its opening ceremony.

In the event, other than the tradition of bowing to the heavens and asking for luck, the secondary cause was to promote the movie to the media as well as to announce some details about the movie such as its basic plot and introduction to the characters as well as to give a small taste of the character design.

So on that day Bai Lang received the male lead “Li ChuanQing’s” clothing in the movie. After all the important movie characters had changed into their clothing and lined up on site, Bai Lang understood what Zhu Kuan was trying to do.

If a movie couldn’t use the actor’s names to attract the audience, then there were still other methods to promote itself such as a unique plotline, special effects or interesting clips. And there were some movies where even if the audience didn’t have a deep impression of the actors, they would remember the clothing, atmosphere and set pieces from the movie. In that way as long as the actors were adequate, then the movie can still be called a small success.

“Gold” was the story of a princeling who had fallen on hard times. It also had the unusual plotline about a tailor. In terms of entertainment and freshness value, there was definitely enough. However what it was still missing was a visual element to help draw the audience in. That’s why this time Zhu Kuan had chosen this kind of effect.

Because of this, the ceremony was not held at the usual hotel but instead at a furniture store.

Due to the limited funding, the furniture store was a good choice. In the warehouse there were many types of high class furniture and it looked like a period living room. There were high and grand crystal chandeliers, palace style brocade curtains, embroidered high back chairs, fringed pillows, etc. It almost looked like a set piece from the movie.

Combined with the actor’s elaborate, even slightly flamboyant outfits, the visual effect immediately showed off the film’s special characteristics.

Even the female lead Shen AiRu, whose features could not be said to be a top beauty, with the added effect of the period clothing and the backdrop, looked very stunning. A cascade of historical curls cascaded down her back and she wore a dark moss-green silk western jacket, a gray fur shawl, paired with a set of pink pearls. As soon as she appeared the cameras immediately started flashing.

Bai Lang also changed quickly. He had arrived earlier to the venue. At this time when Shen AiRu saw him her face froze in an awkward position. He smiled gently and, like a true gentleman, held out his left elbow.

This wasn’t the pre-arranged move. It made Shen AiRu pause slightly. Her eyes could help but rove over the Bai Lang who was wearing a deep coloured suit.

His figure was tall and straight and his smile was benevolent. Inside the opulent hall, under the soft light of the chandeliers, Bai Lang’s lowered eyes were tender and elegant. Just like the character in the movie who was once high beyond all things. Even though he was now fallen he still appeared like something from a fairytale. This was the main character Li ChuanQing.

Shen AiRu’s heart couldn’t help but speed up. It was almost like she was being drawn into that tender gaze. She reached out her hand and gently laid it on Bai Lang’s offered elbow.

At that time pa-cha-pa-cha, the cameras flashed furiously.

Many media picked this photo of Bai Lang and Shen AiRu’s tender and loving gaze. They used it to accompany “Beyond Jade and Gold’s” introductory synopsis and wrote some favorable lines.

However it was a pity that this kind of news couldn’t climb onto the entertainment world’s headlines.

The headline for today was a report of “Emperor Feng” which had chosen the same day for its opening ceremony.