Chapter 24 - Black Cherry

Chapter 24 – Black Cherry

Qiu Qian, who was standing by Bai Lang, also seemed to notice the direction of his gaze.

Qiu Qian followed his gaze and at the same time Su Quan also looked over at the two of them.

Immediately, Su Quan smiled in a familiar manner. After smiling at Qiu Qian his gaze swept over Bai Lang and, as if by coincidence, the smile faded quite naturally as though the greeting had been completed. There was nothing unusual but at the same time Bai Lang felt a coldness sweep through him.

However this was also normal. Bai Lang had no relationship with Su Quan so he also looked away and continued observing his surroundings. It was just as Qiu Qian had told him. Rong SiQi didn’t seem to be here.

Qiu Qian pressed closer to him and said with a teasing smile, “What are you looking around at? Su Quan just greeted us before.”

Today Qiu Qian was dressed formally for once. He was wearing a traditional three piece suit. The color was predominantly a dark gray paired with a black shirt and a dark purple tie. Perhaps because he wasn’t used to it, the tie had already been twisted askew by Qiu Qian.

“Only you, not us.” Bai Lang looked around. After confirming they were in a not eye-catching corner, he reached out and helped Qiu Qian to straighten his tie and at the same time flatten his collar.

Qiu Qian cooperated by raising his chin. He gazed at Bai Lang in a pleased manner.

“If you want to know about Su Quan, just ask and I’ll answer. However if you don’t ask then I’ll assume that you don’t want to know.”

Bai Lang followed on by helping smooth Qiu Qian’s suit. This movement was something he had carefully learnt at The Regal Suit. “I still trust you.”

“‘Still’?” Qiu Qian grasped Bai Lang’s hand. “That means things might change?”

Bai Lang said vaguely, “Trust is something that’s very simple. If it’s there, it’s there. If it’s not, then it’s not.”

Bai Lang was clearly deliberately distancing himself using this manner of speaking. Just like previously when, no matter how much he investigated, Qiu Qian never felt as though he was able to see through Bai Lang. He was like a mirage. At the same time close and far away. That’s why Qiu Qian knew he needed to break down the barrier between them as quickly as possible, otherwise there wouldn’t be any chance for a future.

Qiu Qian tightened his grasp on the hand inside his palms. Right now he was trying his best to hold onto it.

“Very good. Then let’s go make our greetings to the host.”

Bai Lang nodded his head. Qiu Qian didn’t let go of his hand but continued to hold it as they walked to the other side of the room.

The first couple of steps Bai Lang hesitated and walked slowly, but then he began to follow with big strides.

After all, wasn’t this the kind of clear, public relationship that he died trying to achieve in his past life? In this life he didn’t need to do anything and instead it was almost forced upon him. Thinking about it this way really made Bai Lang laugh helplessly.

***

The format of the dinner tonight was that of a buffet.

The guests went to get their own food and drinks and a dining area was set up nearby with free seating.

The advantage of such a format was that guests could freely move around and mingle without the restrictions of formal seating. However if one was not able to find anyone they wanted to talk to or who wanted to talk to them, then they could only sit by themselves in a lonely and bored manner. That’s why the invitation clearly stated that guests could bring a companion. Bai Lang had seen several artists in the crowd and thus knew there was nothing untoward about his attending. However as to what nature of companion was brought by each person, that was up to them to decide.