Chapter 52 - Flip-flops

Chapter 52 – Flip-flops

When Chaos Street wanted to start filming again after three years, there were many things that needed to be adjusted.

In terms of styling, fashion and even colloquial language. They couldn’t just use everything they had already filmed three years ago, there were many aspects that didn’t match anymore. For example, just look at mobile phone models. The ones that appeared on TV three years ago were not the same as the ones currently used. There was a lot of embedded marketing that had to be removed.

Also the actors. People’s figures had changed a lot in three years. So the ones that couldn’t match up with their images from three years ago had to be reshot. Fortunately “Chaos Street” had a case-by-case episodic nature. Each case was solved separately and there wasn’t too much connection between them. So after doing an analysis, over half of the scenes already shot could still be used.

Of course they didn’t have to be meticulous. If they wanted they could use some editing techniques to roughly push things through. However this was Bai Lang’s first drama after his comeback, and his behind-the-scenes patron Qiu Qian had already given his orders that everything had to be done to the highest standard. There was no need to consider the budget. Thus the resources they had on hand were very plentiful. Even after the entire drama finished shooting, it was still carefully analyzed to make sure everything was done perfectly.

However the crew wasn’t changed. The director was still the one from the beginning, Qin Gang. When Qin Gang heard that this drama was to resume filming, he didn’t hesitate to make time for it. When “Chaos Street” was cancelled the first time around, he was definitely the most disappointed one among the crew.

Actually around 80% of the crew members shared Qin Gang’s sentiment. Back then from the director, to the producers and actors, there were actually a lot of very talented people gathered. They excited and inspired each other, and they all took out their passion and put it into their work. The momentum and force was very strong and they all wanted the drama to be the best.

That was why when they heard that the character Luo Zai, who deeply represented the spirit of the show, was to change to another actor, even though they could understand it logically, emotionally they found it hard to accept.

Because Bai Lang had created this Southern accent himself, he could swear profusely one second and in the next become quiet, cultured and beautiful. Only he could reconcile these two extremes and gave to this role a unique and unmatched realism and fascination. It really made him unforgettable. If the second half was changed to another person, then no one had confidence that the original flavor could be maintained.

Some of those who were most poisonous accused Bai Lang for not being professional. Some of them even thought he was being fake for pretending to be so concerned for his patron. However when they went to receive their pay, it was very generous. Still, everyone’s heart was still filled with regret.

Three years later when they wanted to resume filming, from the biggest director to the smallest staff member, the new owner Total Entertainment contacted every single person, not one person was left out. The ones that wanted to come back, came back. Only the people who weren’t willing were changed out. This type of very meticulous planning and consideration allowed the three years later Chaos Street, which had 80% of the same faces, to create an exact same set as before. The feelings between the people and their cohesiveness was unchanged.

Of course at the very beginning, Bai Lang organised a celebratory feast. He invited over a hundred people and even personally made a few dishes to express his apology. Even Qiu Qian and Qiu XiaoHai made an appearance to support Bai Lang. They expressed their genuine and sincere gratitude that the crew was able to “lend” Bai Lang to them for these three years and their family of three pass a difficult time of trial together.