Chapter 24 - Give up.

You sighed as gazes were directed at you.

"He tried to force Mitsuba to eat number 3's heart." You said, knowing that Kou had already noticed him.

Kou approaches him. Mitsuba appears to have incorporated some of Number 3's body parts, such as his arms being transformed into claws. Surprised as he is to find his friend dead, he starts asking questions.

You got closer too but not as close as Kou. "Mitsuba what happened to your arm?" You asked nervously fearing that's what you're thinking.

Meanwhile, Hanako looks suspiciously at the three of you until he spots the corpse of number three and then yells: "(Y/N) and Kou, get out of there!"

Too late.

"Jeez." Soon, monstrous claws will come out of Mitsuba's body and attack him. Kou got caught and you just dodged some of them. Unfortunately, you lose your balance but Kou notices and catches you before you and your staff fall, causing both of your cheeks to blush.

"Where did that come from?" You and Kou - along with Hanako - Your eyes widen when you see Mitsuba saying: "No... I'm scared... help." Mitsuba cries when the exoskeleton starts attacking the helpless Kou, before being rescued by Hanako, who starts to say how fast he is at attacking but Hanako cuts him to pieces. Tsukasa reappears and asks Mitsuba if he's finished. What Mitsuba does is approach Tsukasa and hug him from behind.

You were tense at his sudden appearance. You were scared but you didn't know if it was him or yourself, looking at him brought a feeling of comfort but at the same time he looked like he could kill everyone in the blink of an eye. You were so confused, your memories were a mess. The truth is before your eyes, but when will you see?

Hanako also seemed to tense up but he just asked why Tsukasa is here.

Mitsuba members start attacking you. You couldn't even move, luckily Tsukasa seemed to deflect the exoskeleton before it could harm you.

He takes you in his arms like a princess and looks you in the eye and says, "We must treat girls well." He said with that huge smile on his face.

He then puts you down gently and turns to Mitsuba and complains that his "Arm" is bothering you.

Tsukasa, close enough to Mitsuba, grabs the boy's shoulder and convinces Mitsuba to relax and take control.

You just watched the scene unfold in front of you. Tsukasa touched you, but you weren't afraid. Why? you felt like crying and apologizing without knowing why you are apologizing.

Kou confronts Tsukasa and demands an explanation of what he did to Mitsuba. Tsukasa explains that he granted Mitsuba's wish and in return extracted his reason. He created Mitsuba by joining parts of lesser spirits and pouring their soul into him. He will clarify to Kou that the Mitsuba who lived and died as a human no longer exists.

And the urge to cry soon came to you again. You lost a friend.

Kou asks him to show his justification in doing so. Tsukasa replies that he always wanted to try to make an artificial human, but he is a ghost, so he only managed to make an artificial ghost.

Hanako looked surprised, just like you. Maybe you were remembering the same thing?

"Damn you!" Kou activates his staff and expresses deep irritation over the matter, telling him that Mitsuba is not a toy he can just play with. Tsukasa objects asking if he meant that he should never have played Mitsuba in that case or that he should just kill him right now.

Mitsuba is petrified by this, and the two suddenly disappear into thin air.

Tsukasa asks Mitsuba if he would rather have his newfound power taken away and disappear with it, or if he would rather take over the frontier and take on the role of Seven Wonders.

"I will do this."

Mitsuba comes to his decision, claiming he doesn't want to disappear and become nothing, so to avoid that he agrees to become a Wonder... Tsukasa states this and agrees to grant his wish. He announces that from now on Mitsuba will be known as the Third Wonder of the school.

Now his appearance has been changed by a tattered black jacket embellished with eyes over his regular clothes. Her hair is speckled with black feathers. Her red sneakers are exchanged for a pair of black boots with cuffs attached to her right shoe. Her remaining arm is replaced with a bird's claw. His scarf turns red, with golden trinkets and a padlock attached to it. The scarf extends to bony exoskeletons, which Mitsuba can use and control as appendages.

Then Mitsuba and Tsukasa have a conversation about what kind of supernatural he wants to be, which makes him look at you and Kou and smile.

"I want to be normal. I want to be a normal human. Can I?" Mitsuba asks Tsukasa who says yes.

Suddenly, a resounding doesn't come from Hanako as he surrounds them with the Hakujoudai. Hanako claims that wraiths born in the land of the dead are forbidden to live as humans in her world. He demands that Mitsuba return his position and encourages him not to become the Third Wonder, which makes Tsukasa laugh and ask if he's sure and that Mitsuba has gotten pretty strong.

suggesting that it would be enough to crush him like a bug. He adds that he would not be able to defeat him under his own limits. He looks back and realizes that Mitsuba is trying to run away from the situation. He confronts Mitsuba, who confesses that he wouldn't be able to beat a guy who is throwing a big knife around, also arguing that he's too cute to engage in such a desperate act. In an effort to engage him, Tsukasa slaps him and forces him to give in.

So Mitsuba talks to the three of you referring to each other as Kou: Traffic Earring, Hanako: Crazy knife and you: girl grade 10. Strange, huh?

Mitsuba then threatens them that their lives are in his hands and he can do whatever he wants.

Kou approaches Mitsuba and grabs him by the arm, which makes the boy wonder what he wants.

"Do you remember me? Me and her?" Kou says pointing to you, who was hugging Yashiro in hopes of waking her up. Kou looks at Mitsuba's clawed hands, reflecting on the past when he last interacted with Mitsuba. Mitsuba regains her hands, however Kou then grabs her tightly again, dragging Mitsuba closer. Kou suggests that he knows him, trying to compel Mitsuba to remember him by digging through the rubble and giving Mitsuba the Garden Club Activity Journal in an attempt to remember his life as a human. Tsukasa proceeds to drag Mitsuba away and pushes him towards Hanako, he is startled by her knife which prompts him to attack. The two began to defend themselves from the devastating exoskeletons.

Hanako walks past you and holds your hand so you don't get hurt. Since you released Yashiro in an area that you think is safe but isn't that far from where you are at the moment, Hanako just made you dodge Mitsuba's clutches thus making you side with her but a little further away.

Hanako leaves her and runs towards Mitsuba. In a fit of rage, Mitsuba's exoskeleton began to extend across the room, crashing into the upper surface. The collision knocked over some wreckage which began to fall towards Nene.

You stared wide-eyed at the building above you collapsing, you didn't care about your life, you just didn't want Yashiro to die. You already know the secret anyway.

Nene wakes up and Mitsuba seemed to have protected her from the falling debris -A part of Mitsuba's arm also protected her but he didn't notice.- . Nene suggests that Mitsuba looks very different from before, in response to her new look.

Nene noticed that Mitsuba looked sad, she would ask him but not if he was cut off by himself. Mitsuba's lip trembled slightly until he opened his mouth and said:

"Radish - senpai... I became strong.

"But that's not what I want."

"I was wrong! I don't want to be number 3 anymore!"