Chapter Two

Addison's POV

I have to admit, Derek's mistress... hot. I can see why he went for her.

"Addison, what are you doing here?" He asks me whilst we are still stood in the lobby of the hospital after his girlfriend done a runner out of here.

"Your hair's different." I say back, knowing full well it would wind him up. But in this moment, I want to wind him up. Yes, I messed up, but he left everything in New York for Seattle without so much as a goodbye.

"A lot of things are different."

"It's longer. I like it. It's very Russell Crowe." I go to run my fingers through his hair, I always loved doing that, but he flinches and moves away from me. OK, expected. But, not to blow my own trumper, I'm hot.

"What are you doing here?" He asks me once again.

"What are you doing here? You just pick up and leave everything? Your house, your practice, your friends? You have a life in Manhattan."

"Had." He replies in a matter of fact way.

"And now you have a girlfriend in Seattle. She seems... sweet." I probably couldn't say what I wanted to say. Which was breath takingly beautiful, highly attractive and unbelievably sexy. Not that I could ever tell him that, otherwise he would think it's ok for him to run off with her when I am still legally his wife.

"The ice you're on.. thin."

"She's young. That whole wide-eyed, ooh he's-a-brain-surgeon thing happening, but still sweet. Which is what you were doing for, right? The anti-Addison?"

"If you came out here to try and win me back, forget about it."

Wow. He really thinks I flew all the way to Seattle from New York to win him back then he must think very highly of himself. Yes, I would like to reconcile with him. Despite everything that happened, I still love him. He's still my husband. But I didn't come all the way out here for that. I came for an entirely different reason.

"I did. I flew all the way across the country to reminisce over wedding photos, get drunk, fall into bed, and make you realise you can't live without me." I say sarcastically back, "Relax, Derek, I'm here for work. I'm helping the TTTS case you guys admitted last week and from Richard's briefing, I should be..."

"Richard, he knew you were coming out here?" He interrupted me.

"He asked me to come. Didn't he tell you?" I smirk at him.

"No. He didn't" And if I knew Derek, that means his next course of action was to go to Richard Webber and tell him right off for calling me out here.

"Hmm. Surprise. The hair, though. You know I've always had a thing for Russell Crowe." I whisper in his ear as I walk away. Knowing people can't resist when I do that.

I walk away from Derek leaving him standing there in the hospital lobby, and find my way to the Richard's room to greet him. I spend some time with Richard, having a well needed and overdue catch up before I finally get up and tell him I'll be reporting for duty the next morning as I head out to the hotel I'm staying at to get some sleep.

"And you... get some rest." I say to Richard, just as Derek comes storming into the room after seeing me in there talking with Richard.

Just as I leave the room, I hear Derek asking why on earth he asked me to come to Seattle. Boy, he was pissed.
***

It's now the next day, and I personally asked Dr Burke, who was currently the interim chief of surgery while Richard recovers, for an intern today. To assist me on my TTTS case. I knew exactly which intern I wanted. It may seem evil, but honestly, I don't know whether it's because I wanted her to realise that I am Derek's wife, that I am the one he chose to spend his life with, or whether it's because there's just something about her that makes me want her around. Maybe that something is what attracted Derek to her. Because if I really am being honest at this point, I find her stunning, and maybe I'm feeling a little bit jealous, and that I'm losing him. Which, yes, is my fault. But at the same time, being without him for this long, has made me realise just how much I love him and want him back in my life.

I approach Dr Burke who seems to be having some sort of discussion with Derek. No doubt he's annoyed that Preston was made interim chief even though he's the one who removed Richard's brain tumour.

"Sorry to interrupt, Dr Burke." I say to him.

"You're never interrupting." He smiles back at me whilst Derek shoots him a look.

"She's always interrupting." He bit back.

"I was just checking to see if Dr Burke had secured the intern..."

"The intern you requested? He did." I hear Meredith say as she walks over to join us. I can't help but smirk at the situatin. Derek gives her a look, a look of apology maybe? Whether he's apologising for not telling her the truth or an apology that she will be working with me today.

I turn away from the men and walk off with Dr Grey to get her caught up on the case.

"Define TTTS." I say to her. I highly doubt she will even though what it is, she's clearly been spending a lot of time in neuro picking up skills from Derek, among other skills that is.

"Twin-twin transfusion syndrome. Conjoined fetal twins." She replies. OK, maybe she does know something other than neuro and what kind of positions Derek likes. Shocker.

"Connected by?" I say back to her, lets she if she knows more than what the acronym stands for.

"Blood vessels in the placenta." She says matter of factly back to me.

"Meaning?" I ask back but get no answer. Figures. I knew she wouldn't know. Someone has been spending too much time in neuro then, clearly, at expense of her knowledge for other specialties. "One twin gets too much blood, the other too little, endangering the lives of both, I'd expect you to know that, Grey." I say sharply back to her. I may sound evil, but I have to admit, I'm enjoying this.

We enter the patient's room and I reassure her of the procedue. It's something that is usually impossible to correct, but, not to make myself sound big headed or anything, I just happen to be one of a handful of surgeons in the world who knows how to seperate fetal blood vessels.

"If you have any questions at all please ask Dr Grey. From what I have seen, she is one of the hospital's most popular interns." I smirk very subtly to the patient.

We both then walk back out into the hallway just outside the door to the patient room.

"I could've answered your question had you given me the chance." She says sounding frustrated with me.

"Chin up, Grey. I'm this tough on everyone, not just the women my husband sleeps with. Order an ultrasoung for her and pre-op labs in full."

OK, in retrospect, I probably either shouldn't have said that, or at least not have said it when the patient was still in earshot. But her acting like a child and seeming annoyed at me for telling her she should know the answer to the question, just had that affect on me, to the point that I just had to make that jab.

I am usually tough on interns, that's how they learn. And to me, Meredith Grey had a LOT to learn, in more ways than one.