Chapter Seventeen

Addison's POV

I have no idea what the hell is wrong with Derek. He is in a constant mood. A bad mood. To the point that everyone is having to walk on eggshells around him. He was perfectly fine, we finally had amazing sex, and then after that he had a constant frown on his face and a shit mood to go with it. I tried to ignore it. But part of me thinks he's in a mood with me. Have I done something? I don't remember doing anything to piss him off. Only one thing, but that was ages ago now and we're past that and trying again at our marriage. Whatever it is that's happened, it's caused him to be in the shittiest mood I have ever seen him in. And that is saying something.

This morning, we're sat at the vet's office to get an update on Doc, me, Derek and Meredith. Who is looking beautiful as ever. Oh god Addison stop, not this again. Derek, as per, had a frown on his face whilst Meredith just looked scared. I'm brought out of my thoughts when Derek speaks.

"That's it? That's your diagnosis?" Derek asks Finn.

"Yes, he said bone cancer, so that would be his diagnosis." Meredith says to him, with a tiny hint of sarcasm in her voice.

"I heard him. I was just double checking." Derek snaps back at her. Or more of a bark than a snap. There was so much tension in the air, very very thick tension, and by the looks of it, Finn could sense it too. It started to feel uncomfortable now. Maybe Derek was pissed off at Meredith? But why? She hasn't done anything wrong.

"I still need to do a bone scan to see how far it's spread. Osteosarcomas are aggresive, but we can try and treat it with chemo or remove the tumour entirely. If it's spread too far, we may have to amputate the limb." Finn says to all three of us.

"At that point, should we even bother?" Derek asks him, projecting his bad mood onto everyone else.

"Oh, right. Let's just let him die." Meredith snaps back to him.

"I don't want him to suffer, Meredith."

"Right." She just says back, clearly biting her tongue, but giving up and probably knowing she won't get anywhere when Derek is being the way he is.

***

We're now back in the hospital, ready to get to work and the tension is still there as all three of us stand in the elevator. The silence was actually becoming too loud, the tension was getting that thick. Something has happened, surely?

"So what's... I mean, is there something going on?" I ask, not really knowing if I want the answer, or to get the answer that I'm dreading.

"No." They say together.

"Did you guys have a fight, or something?" I ask once more.

"No." They say together, again.

"So... we're all still... friends?"

"Yes." They say together, once again.

The elevator dings as the doors open, Derek and Meredith both step out of the elevator but I'm still stood here rooted to the ground, confused. Because something has happened. I'm not stupid, Finn sensed the tension back at his office too, so there must be something going on. And it's driving me crazy.

***

So far the day has been hectic. There was some sort of shooting and one of the victims, who is Derek's patient, is also pregnant, meaning she is the patient of both of us now. We're in the scrub room talking about the patient, Kendra. But I feel almost too scared to speak, in case he snaps at me too. Because that seems to be all he does to everyone at the moment.

"Kendra's fetus is twelve weeks along. It seems healthy. Did you hear me Derek?" I ask him.

"I heard you." He grumbles back to me.