Chapter Three

Meredith's POV

I hate her. I actually with all my being HATE her. She humiliated me. It wasn't enough that she had to show up at this hospital and just so casually introduce herself as my 'boyfriends' wife, but she had to not even give me a chance to answer her question, AND say something like that when the patient could probably still hear us, since the door wasn't shut and we were stood right by it. HUMILIATING. I hate her. Hate hate hate her. How can someone so hot be such a bitch?

Once I've done a million other things that Dr Montgomery-Shepherd asked me to do, urgh, I hate that that's what I have to call her too, I'll need to head back into the patient's room to give her the ultrasound Addison ordered. OK, even calling her Addison makes my blood boil a little bit. Now I don't know what to call her because no matter what, I still feel immense anger at her and at Derek. How could he not tell me he was married? We established rules in our relationship, you would think he would have the decency or common curtesy to inform me that, oh by the way, "I'm married.". And that infuriated me. And as for her, she knew I didn't know he was married, so why introduce herself like that? Why humiliate me within ear shot of a patient like that? I didn't know he was married, and she knows that. She saw my reaction when she said her last name. So she knew full well I DID NOT KNOW he was McMarried.

But.. the more I think about it, she's the victim here. He cheated on her. He had a whole relationship whilst he was still married to her. The more and more I think about that, the more I'm realising that my anger should be fully directed at him, instead of her. And now, I actually feel sorry for her. Because now, now that I have actually sat down and thought about it logically, I am not the only victim in this whole mess of a situation. Addison is too.

I go back into the patient's room to sit down and do the ultrasound for the babies. I can see by the look on her face that she is itching to say something. She definitely heard what Addison said to me outside her room. And once again in that instant, I feel anger to her again. Because she knew then that I had no clue about Derek, so why call me out when the patient can hear? Like, yes she is hurt, but we are in a proffesional setting, and she said something like that. I honestly don't know how to handle this situation. I'm basically the dirty mistress. Gross.

"What does it take to go after another woman's husband?" There's the question that I KNEW was coming. At least she finally came out with it I suppose.

"Excuse me?" I ask her, trying my best to not sound rude and to keep my cool.

"It happened to me. Jeff moved in with a long-legged miniskirt who answers his phones, three weeks into my pregnancy. By the way, that gel is really cold." She says as I apply the gel for the ultrasound to her expanding bump.

Bite your tongue Meredith. Say nothing. Do NOT retaliate and say something rude back to her.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry about your husband."

"Are you sorry about Dr Montgomery-Shepherd's husband?" Yes. I'm sorry I ever met him. I'm sorry I fell for him. For a pig headed liar, not that it's ANY OF YOUR GODDAMN BUSINESS.

I think that to myself, but I can't say that. I need to remain professional. And the only way I can think of to stop me from saying is that is to try and attempt to change the subject.

"I'm going to be checking on a few things today." I say as I start doing the ultrasound to monitor the twins.

"I bet she asked to work with you. It's what I would've done." She says bluntly to me. So, OK, this is going to remain the subject of the conversation. And quite frankly lady, I don't care what you would've done because you know nothing about this situation.

"I'm gonna go check on your labs." I say as I stand up and walk out of the room. Because in that moment, if I didn't stand up and leave, I wouldn't have been able to bite my tongue any longer and I would just snap. Which I can't do, purely because I love my job.

I mean, I love this job, but at this point my job had somehow become a nightmare because not only do I have to work with Dr McDreamyDoucheBag, I had to also work with his very hot wife.

I decide to walk up to Peds and see the babies. Me and George just have this thing where we go visit the babies when we're having a crappy day, to make ourselves feel better, and today definitely was a crappy day. When I reached that floor, I see George standing there looking through the window at the babies. How did I guess he would be here? He's definitely having a tough day too, I overheard him saying that Dr Webber had ordered him to be his eyes and ears whilst he was recovering from his surgery. And this hospital is somewhere where a lot of drama and gossip happens, and knowing George, he really didn't want to tell Webber all the things he had found out today, he isn't a big fan of gossip. As I approach him, I hear him talking to himself, something about how sponge duty sucks.

"Talking to yourself now?" I ask him whilst chuckling.

"Yes. No! Damn it, I'm a bad sponge. A leaky sponge. I'm gonna leak all the wrong secrets. I'm a bad liar, can't even lie about talking to myself.." he ranted, "You look nice today."

"Wore my new lip gloss. Cause my ex-boyfriend's wife looks like Isabelle freaking Rossellini, and I'm like me. I'm trying to outdo her when she's the victim here. How crazy is that?" I rant straight back to him.

"Not crazy. Smart. You know, gloss, you know, prevents chapped lips.. and your ex-boyfriend?" He stuttered back to me in regular George fashion. As if he will always be on my side, or at least seeing things from a slightly different perspective.

"I'm an evil mistress." I say. It's true. I really am the dirty evil mistress who is sat here wearing new lip gloss trying to outdo her when she's the one who is the victim in this shitty situation.

***

After the conversation and slight pep talk with George and then a very serious conversation with Cristina about her own shitty situation, I head back to my patient's room. And almost immediately, she is straight back onto the subject of her husband cheating on her. I understand she is a victim her too, but she doesn't know about my situation, she has no idea.

"When I found out about the miniskirt, I called her up and took her to lunch. It was perfectly civil. I said I didn't hold it against her, that these things happen. But, really? I just wanted to put a face on the bitch that got my husband throw away 15 years of marriage."

Once again I have to refrain from saying anything back, so I sit and focus and put all my concentration into looking at her ultrasound, because if I don't do that, I will lose all class and snap at her.

I can't wait for this surgery to be over, because once she is discharged, I don't have to keep hearing these not so small and not so subtle digs from her. And it also means Addison will be leaving too right? And maybe I'll have another chance with Derek, maybe? But do I want him back? I hate him too much to even think about it clearly. I still love him, but I hate him too. I don't know what to do and how to even feel about him and this situation he has got me into.