Chapter Twenty Three

Meredith's POV

"She-Shepherd and Shepherd are getting a divorce!" Alex tells us as he comes into the locker room.

"What?" I ask him, in shock.

"Yeah, I just heard them talking about it. I'm still on the vagina squad so I was with her, Derek pulled her aside and said something about about the proceedings." He shrugged, as he begins snacking on some chips, clearly not bothered at all by the news. And clearly not knowing why. I like Karev, but he isn't always one to keep things to himself.

She's left him. They're over. Is this my fault? Did I split them up? It's been a week since the night of the prom. We haven't spoken to each other at all since then. We haven't even seen each other either. Which I suppose can be an easy thing to do when the hospital is such a big place. But I hated not seeing her. I guess she's been avoiding me, just like I had been too.

It's lunch time so I figure that I might see her down there, really needing to talk to her.

I stand in line at the cafeteria when I see her walking by with some coffee. I dump down my food tray and leave the line, walking over to her, needing to speak to her. There's so many people nearby and they'd all find it pretty weird if I went up to her and asked if I could speak with her. So I had to come up with another idea on how to get her attention.

"Dr Montgomery-Shepherd?" I call out as I approach her.

"What is it Grey?" She replies, in an irritated tone, a tone that says she can't be bothered with anyone's shit today. But I NEED to speak to her.

"Um, I need a consult actually, could you follow me please?" I ask her sweetly, smiling at her.

"Okay, but make it quick." She says.

She follows me down a hall way, thinking I'm taking her to see a patient.

"In here." I say, I take hold of her arm whilst I open the door to an on call room.

"What are you doing? You wanted a consult." She asks me, confused as to why we were in here.

"I need to talk to you. You've been avoiding me for a week now, but I need to talk to you!" I plead with her.

"Grey, this is highly inappropriate, I'm really busy so if there's not actually a pa-" she begins to say, about to leave the room.

"Addie!" I shout. Stopping her in her tracks.

Addison's POV

She called me Addie. My heart melts at hearing my nickname coming from her mouth. I have been avoiding her. Avoiding seeing her, avoiding talking to her, but now, instead of leaving the room, I turn back around and face her again.

"Is it because of me?" She asks sadly.

"Is what because of you?" I ask her, confused.

"The divorce, you and Derek."

"How did you hear that?" I ask.

"This is a hospital, the only thing that travels as fast as germs and disease here is rumors. So, is it?"

"No. No, it isn't because of you. It was over way before you... and I, ahem, before.. that. What happened last week." I say, struggling to get my words out, also struggling to even look at her.

"So why can't you look at me?" She asks.

"Because... because, what happened between us... it shouldn't have happened. I am an attending, you are an intern. Not to mention but you were my soon to be ex husband's, ex girlfriend. It was a one time thing that should never have happened. It won't be happening again."  I stutter. When the real reason why I can't look at her is because I just know I won't be able to control myself. Because if I look at her, then I'll know that all I would want to do is fuck her right here and right now.