Chapter Eighteen

Meredith's POV

I'm in shock over Addison's outburt to Derek, but I'm also in shock about what I have learned from Callie. About Osteosarcomas. And the worst case situation. The two things I have learnt today, is number one, I definitely have feelings for Addison. Major feelings. Heart thumping, legs weakening, head spinning feelings. And number two, That Finn has been downplaying just how ill Doc is. He is worse than he makes out. I know he is.

I head into the vets and I discover that in fact, I was right. Finn has been downplaying it. I tell him to tell me the truth. The best case scenario is that he has about a year left. But Doc isn't a best case scenario.

***

Back at work and a huge tonne of crap just went down. Involving LVADs, scissors, Izzie and her falling for her patient. She cut the wire on the LVAD to try and make sure Denny gets the heart, or else it goes to someone else. She made him worse. To ensure that he gets it. And all of us apart from Alex, who isn't here, help her to keep him alive so that labs can be run so they can see he has deteriorated.

And we got caught. By Dr Bailey.

The rest is history, it's a massive shit storm.

But he got the heart. But we were now in mad trouble.

***

We sit out in the hall, on the floor, underneath the OR board.

"Bailey's treating us like children, we're not children! We shouldn't have to sit out here like we're in time out or something." George says, sounding irritated but also panicked.

"It is a time out. What we did is way in need of a time out." I reply. It's true. What we did is wrong.

"You realise we could get kicked out of the program for this?" Cristina says after being silent for a while.

"Not we. I did this. I did this." Izzie says, before carrying on. But I just zone out. Thinking about Addison. If we got kicked out of the program, I wouldn't see her again. I'm not even with her, she's married, yet that is all I can think about right now. And knowing that that's all I could think about, scared me, a lot. It scared me more than the fact I have feelings for her. Damn it.

***

We stand in Dr Webber's office, all of us. Every single one of us try to cover for Izzie but saying that we cut the LVAD wire.  Alex is the only one who doesn't copy us and says he had nothing to do with any of it, which causes everyone to start arguing until Richard intervenes.

"People! I know who did this. So, you might as well come clean. I know." He says loudly over the top of us to get us to shut up.

"With all due respect, sir, if you knew, you wouldn't be asking us." George says. Izzie goes to speak, although it sounds more like she's about to own up to it.

"You have your suspicions, but you don't actually no." I say matter of factly to him.

"Not for sure." Says Cristina.

"And you can't do anything to any of us without proof, sir." George says again. And he has a point.

"Well, one of you compromised a patient's life. One of you stole an organ. One of you jeoparadized the intergrity of this hospital and of UNOS. Now, you tell me, and you tell me right now!" Richard shouts again.

None of us answer, We keep our mouths sealed.

"All right, fine. No surgeries." He says bluntly.

"Sir?" Say Cristina, almost in a whimper. She hates being away from the OR, surgery is quite literally her life.