Chapter Four

Addison's POV

I caught snippets of the conversations between Meredith and my patient, Julie. Well, more like the fairly one sided conversations. She seemed to be biting her tongue well, especially with some of the things the patient is saying to her. I didn't think of this though. That when saying what I said to Meredith by the door, would cause the patient to say these sorts of things to her. How Meredith hasn't reacted to it though, I'll never know.

***
"That took a lot of nerve." Derek says angrily to me, obviously talking about me requesting to have Meredith Grey on my service.

"Oh come on, she came highly recommended."

Derek pulls me over when he sees Dr Burke coming over. Clearly whatever he wanted to say to me, he didn't want to say anything in front of Dr Burke.

"Right." He snaps back.

"So you don't recommend her?" I smirk back. I enjoy this too much.

"No, I did not say that."

"Just not for her medical skills." I quip back to him.

"Oh, would you shut up?"

Meredith walks up to us both and says "Dr Shepherd."

Both me and Derek respond to her, did she mean Derek, or did she mean me? Surely she would've said Montgomery-Shepherd though right? Maybe she did want to speak to Derek. In this moment, I sort of can't help but look at her eyes, there's something about them, how the flecks of green just swim around in them. And just her in general. She really is gorgeous. If Derek hadn't have met her first I probably would've done the same thing as him.

Woah, where did that come from? Jesus, Addie. I know I want Derek back. He is my husband and has been for just over a decade, I don't want to just throw that all away. I want him. And Derek, well I don't think he wants me, or maybe he does. But Meredith wants him, so I guess I'll have some sort of fight in my hands to get my husband back. Yes, I travelled all this way for the TTTS case, but reconciling with Derek has been on my mind for ages, and hopefully coming out to Seattle, will help with that. I'm suddenly taken out of my thoughts when Meredith begins speaking again.

"Labs confirm what look like abnormalitites on the ultrasound. I think you should come and see for yourself." Ok, she was talking to me then.

"Fine. Let's go." I say as we begin walking away from Derek before he says her name twice. She quickly turns back around and just simply says "Don't."

Maybe that meant she didn't want him back? There won't be a fight on my hands? Or at least not much of one anyway.

We return to Julie's room and I sit down at the ultrasound and begin examining her again.

"See. Bilateral pleural effusion with evidence of subQ edema." Meredith says. Maybe she does know her stuff then.

"In English, please?" Julie says back to her. Probably the first time today she has spoke to her without mentioning the fact her husband cheated on her.

"We've detected what looks like beginning heart failure in the twins. Don't be alarmed." I reply to her. I know full well that even if I say to not be alarmed, that she is gonna be alarmed, they're her babies.

"Are my babies gonna be ok?" She asks me, her eyes watering whilst panic has struck in and her face is in shock.

"I'm gonna go ahead and take you into surgery now. We're not gonna wait." I say back to Julie, "Book the OR. Move." I say sharply to Dr Grey.

***

We get into the OR where I then prepare to go in laaroscopically after reassuring that neither her or the twins are gonna feel anything. I start the procedure and ask to have a 10 blade to begin with a 3 millimeter incision. Meredith watched closely at every move I made. Now, I don't get nervous in the OR, I'm extremely confident in my surgical skills and my ability, but when she's watching like that, I suddenly have these random nerves and flutters in my stomach. And I have no idea why but it certainly needs to go away so I can proceed with the surgery flawlessly.

"Grey, there are many other things here that you can observe that isn't just me, how about you observe other things too." I snap at her. Maybe it was a bit harsh, but I didn't need the distraction, not on a procedure like this.

Time goes by and I have a look over at her again, and I feel a little bit bad for how I spoke to her. She was just observing the same way any other intern would, it's how they learn.

"How you doing there, Grey?"

"Good. I'm good." She mumbles back to me.

***

A few hours later after the surgery we head back into the patient's room to see how she is doing and I'm pleased to see she is doing well."

"See? Just a small scar." I say to her whilst we both look at the stitches.

"And my babies?" She sounds desperate, but who wouldn't be in this situation.

"Your babies are doing very well. And Dr Grey will be back to check on you a little bit later."

I wasn't prepared for what she was going to say next.

"Actually, I'd prefer it if Dr Grey were taken off the case." She says back with a straight face with a hint of a dirty look to the intern stood behind me.

"Why, is there a problem?" I ask Julie.

"Just reminds me of someone I don't like very much. Someone my husband likes a lot. Particularly in lingerie. You understand." Her reply has be taken aback a bit, I did not expect for her to say something like that. And yet still, Meredith has kept her mouth shut and not said anything back to her. Yet you can see in her face she has taken offence to the words she just heard. She actually looked hurt.

"No, no, I don't understand." I say back to her. This woman doesn't actually know anything about this situation.

"Well, she' sleeping with your husband, right?"

And in that moment, I felt extreme guilt, Meredith looked very upset and hurt because of the things Julie had been saying to her all day. Things she would never have said if I didn't say what I said to her in a place that my patient could hear. This was kind of my fault that Meredith had been spoken to as if she was a piece of shit on someone's shoe all day. Yet she still somehow managed to not say anything back to her and not reacted at all. Which is actually quite impressive because I know several people who probably would have said something back by now, probably myself included.

"Ms Phillips," I begin to say to her as I walk back closer to her, "I lack Dr Grey's class and patience so, let me sette record straight. My husband didn't cheat on me, I cheated on him. So the wronged woman here, is Dr Grey. So, I think you owe her one hell of an apology." I say as professionally as I can.

Before I leave the room, I see Meredith's face, full of pure shock. The same face she had on just last night when I swooped in and introduced myself as Derek's wife.

*A/N - I know a lot of this is literally what happens in the show, but with a couple of twists or whatever, but as this story goes further in, a lot of the things either happen on the show but I put my own twist on them, or they're things that didn't happen in the show and I've just created it myself. But for now the first few chapters are basically the set up leading up to the main story*

If you're enjoying this so far then please leave a vote, your feedback, drop a follow or share the story. Thank you x