Mia

💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨

💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨

Nathan (a few days later, first day back to school from Thanksgiving break)

I was really excited to see Kenzie today. Dad came back last night telling mom that he found where Kenzie's dad was.

I know I should have been asleep, but I couldn't help listen. I was so happy for her. The whole day was going by really slow for me. She had gotten to school late, so I didn't get to tell her before school, so I was really excited, waiting for lunch to come so I can tell her.

Finally, our lunchtime came. We all got in line and I made sure to stand right behind her. She was smiling the whole time and looking at me weirdly. "You're up to something. What is wrong with you?" she asks making me giggle.

"I have good news," I whispered in her ear.

Some of the girls giggled. They kept messing with her, telling her she was my girlfriend, but she's not, I swear. Kenzie is like my sister, I love her, but I don't like her-like her. To be honest... There was a new girl named Mia in Ms. Bennet's class that I really like. She's very shy, and she doesn't talk to anyone. I don't know why it's so hard for me to go say hi to her.

The only person that has been able to talk to her is McKenzie. She says she's super smart and really nice, but that she doesn't like talking to other people.

"Ok, kids. Remember, make sure you stay in a single file. No cutting. That means you, Mr. Austin."  Mr. Omar says, looking at Austin. Austin laughed and got back in his original spot. He likes messing around a lot, but he's nice. He's been my friend since I came to live here.

We made our way inside the cafeteria and grabbed our trays, we ate quickly, and then Kenzie and I made our way out towards the playground.

I pulled her along with me, holding her hand, and walked towards the tree that we like to hang out at. "Nate, just tell me. What did you mean you have good news? Just tell me already." she asks as I pull her with me across the tetherball playground. "Wait, let's go sit down first, ok?" I say as I duck down and move her so she doesn't get hit by a ball.

"Nathan?" she nags making me chuckle.

I stop once we got to the tree and made her sit in front of me with our legs crossed. "Kenzie, my dad told me not to tell you yet, but last night, he left with uncle Steven to talk to uncle Dylan.." I looked around and made sure no one else was listening. Then I leaned in closer to her and chuckled as I see her eyes go wide. "Then... What happened?"

"I heard dad telling, y mom that they think they found your dad," I said in a whisper. "Really??" she yells out excitedly, jumping up and beginning to jump up and down.

"That is so awesome. I finally get to meet my dad, Nate. I finally get to meet him." she jumps up, and she hugs me soon as I stand up. "Your dad is the best, Nate. Thank you," she says making me smile.

"As if..." Kaitlyn cuts us off making us turn. She stood next to her friends and a boy named David. He was in the same grade as us, but he looked much bigger. "Do you think Mr. Spencer can find your dad? He's not here for a reason. He doesn't want you. And just because your parents are together," she says looking at me.

"It doesn't mean you're a family. Your parents are not even married, so technically, he doesn't want you either. Otherwise, he would have married your mom already. And neither one of you has a complete family, do you?"

Kenzie looked like she wanted to cry. She averted her head down, looking at the floor, and then closed her eyes, moving her head away from her.

"Well neither do you, do you Maleficent?" my eyes went wide in shock as I heard her voice. She had never talked to anyone since she came to our town a month ago. She was so pretty.

"Mia," Kenzie says as Mia stands in front of her. "No one is talking to you, Maya.." Kaitlyn says mockingly, emphasizing her name and putting her hand on her hip.

"Jealousy doesn't look good in you, Kaitlyn. It makes you look ugly-er. Just because McKenzie's dad doesn't live with her, it doesn't mean he doesn't want her. And parents don't have to stay together to love you. I live with my dad, and we live just fine. My mom is in heaven, and I know for a fact that she still loves me. Instead of spreading your poison, why don't you use your wits to concentrate in your work. You did really bad in our last spelling test, you know?"

"Whatever, that's none of your business Maya."

"And on top of that, you can't even say my name right. It's Mia, completely different. But I guess if you worried about getting good grades and being a good student, you wouldn't have much time left to be a bully. But I guess... We all have our own favorite pass-time and preferences, right?" she says making me feel proud of her.

I had never seen a girl stand up to Kaitlyn before. I was feeling love-struck right now. Mia is amazing, and I'm glad my sister now has two friends that can defend her.

"Butt out Mia. I do care about my grades, and the only reason I got a bad grade was that I did not have time to study last time, ok?"

"You had a whole week, Kaitlyn. The teacher gave us that list to go over it during thanksgiving break, remember? It wasn't even that hard, but I guess if you studied, you would have known."

"Whatever. David, you said you wanted to be my big brother. Why are you letting her talk to me like that?" Kaitlyn looks at David, but he was too at awe with Mia as well. She was really pretty after all.

"I...um... I." he stutters, then he simply turns around and runs away as his cheeks got red. Kenzie and I chuckle slightly, making Kaitlyn madder.

"Whatever. I don't like you Mia, I really don't like you, you know that? I bet your mom would of..."

"Watch what you say about mom." Mia walked up to Kaitlyn, standing just inches from her face. "I may look tinier than you, and defenseless, and maybe I will let you talk bad about me, but do not mess with my mom. I don't care if I get in trouble again, I will push you, and make you regret talking bad about my mom, GOT IT?" she fisted her hands, and though she intimidated Kaitlyn, I knew that she was hurting inside.

Kaitlyn stood there dumbfounded, and her friends had to pull her back before they left. Whoever Mia is... I like her even more now.

💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨