7

"How was the first day?" my dad asked as I entered.
"Fine." I answered and locked the door behind me. "When I left, Pam told me that it didn't matter what time I came in so long as I came in every day. So I'll probably start going at night when they're going to sleep that way I don't have to worry about them dirtying it up again after I'm done."
"That sounds smart."
"Yea. But I'm gonna go shower and get ready for bed."
"Okay, kiddo. I'll be gone for a few hours, gotta work." he said as he threw on a shirt over his wifebeater. "Love you."
"Love you too."

I walked upstairs and headed to get my clothes then went into the bathroom.

I had a few thoughts as my shower water ran.

Like Isaiah.

And Pam's real personality.

But most of my thoughts consisted of Isaiah.

I just found it strange how he was nice in the rudest way possible.
He had good intentions, he just carried them out harshly.
He was also very pretty. Anyone who looks like him you wouldn't expect them to be from where he's from. He looked like he was from Los Angeles and a signed model. In reality he was from one of the scariest cities in the country. A city where if you don't have at least five tattoos, they automatically assume you're not from there. You have to own a gun or else people are gonna attempt to rob you. You needed to be initiated into the city by getting in at least one fight and winning. That was where he was from. But the chiseled cheekbones, piercing eyes, and strong jawline made that surprising.

Well, I guess the cross tattoo under the outer corner of his eye made it easier to believe. And the word "forever" tatted down his temple. And the fact his neck read the year "1980" for whatever reason. He had a longhorn skull tatted on his right hand. I remembered the other hand had the word loyalty written in cursive across the back.

I hadn't known if he had any others. He was always in a black hoodie that read the words "you matter".

I'd have to see him again tomorrow. I expect to hear the words 'bunny' and 'dumbass' while I'm there.

____________________________________

I went downstairs for breakfast and saw my dad still in his work attire and asleep on the couch.

I snickered to myself before I began fixing breakfast.

I tried to make as little noise as possible while I took out a bowl and poured my cereal into it. Then again I don't think even a hurricane could wake him up after work.

My phone began to ring and I quickly silenced it then answered as I poured in my milk.

"Hello?"
"Hi, this is Willow, right?" Pam asked.
"Yes, ma'am."
"Okay good. Listen, Willow, we're kind of having a family party here later today so if you could come and clean before and after that would be perfect," she explained.
"Oh...um..."
"I'll pay you double."
I perked up. "Okay. Sure."
"Great. The party starts at 2. I'll be out shopping for some supplies but Isaiah will be here to let you in," she stated.
Isaiah...
"Okay...when will it end?" I wondered.
"I'm not sure about that part, yet, but I'll let you know when everything clears out. Are you gonna be busy?"
I have no friends. "No ma'am..."
"Okay then yea, I'll let you know."
"Okay. I'll be there soon."
"Great. Bye bye."
"Bye."
We hung up.

A part of me was annoyed but the other part of me knew I'd just be bored anyway because I had nothing else to do. At some point I needed to actually attempt at getting a real job but right now this was all I had. It paid well enough so I was okay with it.

I finished eating and washed my bowl before taking a marker to write on the white board we keep on the wall.

"Called in to clean, I'll be back b4 2." I wrote.

I went to my room to change. Again I would just throw on a t-shirt and try to choose between jeans and shorts. It's not like I had anyone to impress while I mop the floors.

~~~

Again the drive to their neighborhood was short, which I always appreciated it because it was the only place I ever went which meant I'd spend much less money on gas from now on.

As I drove down the street, I could see Pam leaving her driveway. I'd just missed her.
I was hoping I'd be quick enough so that she could let me inside instead of her scary son. That was unfortunate.
I couldn't wait until I had that key she promised.

I pulled into the driveway and someone pulled in right behind me.

We both got out and she looked at me. She looked familiar but I didn't know from where.

I walked to the door and knocked.

"I thought you weren't his girlfriend?" she stated.
"I'm no-..." I recognized who this was.

She was the girl from the drive thru.

The door opened.

"What's up, Bunny?" he greeted and opened the door wider.

I walked inside after giving him a quiet hi.

"Who is she?" I heard the girl ask.
"Uhhh...Family friend." he stated.

I guess I preferred that over 'the maid'. So that was nice.

The two walked off and headed upstairs.

I started working on the kitchen.