25

I did my hair which was just letting my curls out to frame my face. My hair was big, maybe too big, which made me wonder if I'd block people's view of the movie. Actually I could barely see past my bangs. In a month, my hair will be like Kareem's and blocking my face all together.
I blew my curls out of my face as I stared into the mirror to contemplate.
But a bun felt too casual.
I didn't feel like straightening it. Nor did I have the time.
I didn't know what would be too much and what wouldn't be enough to wear for the occasion.
Isaiah noticed my absence and texted to see where I was, I told him what I did and he said he'd just pick me up from my place. But I don't live that far so I was running out of time.

I changed my mind and quickly grabbed a coarse brush and hair gel then slicked my hair into a bun at the top of my head. I let two curls down on the sides.
My Afro was too big for a movie theater, about three people would probably complain about the view.

I just grabbed a cute dress I rarely wore and threw it on. I really should attempt at going shopping for fancier clothes. I just never have anywhere to wear them to.

I don't even remember how long ago I bought this dress.
But I've never worn it.
Wear it to where? The kitchen?

I still liked it though. It was pretty casual. Not too dressy. But it was tight and short with spaghetti straps. It was black velvet with a small bedazzled butterfly in the center of the chest. When I first saw it I knew I probably would never wear it but it was so pretty that I couldn't just leave it at the store. I'm now happy I didn't. Or else I'd be going on a movie date in jeans and a t-shirt. Which I guess is okay, but...he made me want to look prettier than just jeans and a shirt. I wanted him to be a little surprised since that's all he ever sees me in.

I felt too plain still.
I rushed to my jewelry on my dresser and found large silver hoop earrings to throw on and a few rings.
Then I spritzed myself in perfume and was annoyed I didn't have much makeup besides mascara and lipgloss because of an incident in the past. But my skin was clear and my eyelashes were long so I got over it and also brushed my eyebrows.

I got a text that read 'Outside' from Isaiah and I panicked. I went back to my bathroom and kept staring at myself in the mirror wondering if I was cute enough. Wondering what he'd say when he sees me. Although it wasn't fancy, this was the dressiest thing I owned besides a bridesmaid dress from my aunt's wedding last year. Even if I chickened out of this look, I didn't have time to even consider changing. I just took a deep breath and grabbed a jacket before heading outside.

~~~

I put on my jacket which was actually my dad's high school letterman that shrunk to be too small for him in the dryer a few years ago by mistake. But it was black and white so it matched. I locked the front door then started heading to Isaiah's car.

He rolled his window down.
I could see a blunt in his mouth.

He took it out and smiled as the smoke blew out of his nose.

"Damn, Bunny." he said lowly.

I didn't want to show that it made me shy so I just kept walking to the car and hopped in.
That was the kind of response I was hoping for. I was happy about it.

I put on my seatbelt and stared through the windshield.
We weren't moving.

I looked to the side at him. His head was already turned to the side and against the seat while he was looking at me.
"Hey..." he smiled.
"Hi..." I snickered.
"You look good, baby."
I looked down at my lap and messed with my hands. The word 'baby' had an effect on me.
"Thank you..." I said quietly. "You look good too."

He had on light tan cargo pants and a black hoodie with a white shirt poking out underneath. The hood was up halfway on his head. He also had on a gold necklace. I rarely see him out of a pair of sweatpants.
That was nice and everything, he definitely looked good like he always did, but he smelled even better. His cologne was heavenly.

"You think so?" he asked.
I looked at him again. He was looking at my lips as he lightly licked his bottom one.
"Yea..."
He chuckled and I knew it was because I'd looked away from him again. "Thank you." he stated.

He put his blunt back between his lips then reversed out of my driveway.

"Your dad ain't home?" he asked when he exhaled.
"No, he's working until 6 in the morning."
If he was, I probably wouldn't be wearing this because then he'd ask me where I was going. And I definitely wouldn't want to answer that question.
"Alright." He hit his blunt again.

"Should you be doing that while driving?" I asked him.
"What?" He looked at me.
"Look at the road!"
He snickered and looked back through the windshield.
"And I meant getting high while driving."
"Can't just let it burn out. That's a waste of a good blunt." He hit it again.

It was handed to me.

I looked at it in his hand.

"I put it on my life it's not gonna hurt you. And I don't do anything but weed and sometimes cigarettes so this shit definitely ain't laced." he stated.
I continued looking at it.
"Even if it was, you know where I stay. Just snitch."
I've never heard of someone giving permission for someone else to snitch.
I took it out of his fingers and stared some more.

"If this hurts me, I'm allowed to punch you." I stated.
He snickered. "Yea, Bunny. If it hurts you, you can punch me."
I put it between my lips and inhaled.

I was thrown into a coughing fit and punched his arm.

Isaiah laughed. "That's how you know it's good."
I gave it back to him when I gathered myself.
My lungs felt warm.
He hit it with ease.

"How did your apartment tour go?" I wondered curiously.
"Had to reschedule."
"Why?"
"I think her sister went into labor or somethin'. She said she'll call me about a new day."
"Oh, okay."

"What're we going to see?" I asked him.
"There's a new horror movie that came out that I thought would be cool."
"Which one?" Although I loved movies so much, horror wasn't ever my go to but I wouldn't tell him that I was a grown woman who still gets scared over fake creatures from a silly movie. Even though that is very much still the case.
He passed me the blunt again. "It's called Don't Look and it's some evil bitch that shows up in reflections and if you catch her she tries to kill you before the day is over with."
That sounded horrifying. "Oh, okay."
I hit the blunt again.

____________________________________

We arrived at the theater and I felt so...at ease surprisingly.
I was calm and relaxed. Kind of sleepy.
I got out of the car and just looked at the sky.
Not as many stars as the hill in Westdale but it was nice nonetheless.

"You alright?" Isaiah asked me.
I looked at him.
He pulled his hood off of his head.
He's so hot, man. It's unbelievable.

"Yea, I'm okay." I replied.
"Alright." he snickered and gestured for me to follow him to the ticket booth.

He paid as I stared around at whatever and then we went inside to get popcorn and drinks. I asked him if we could just share a bucket because, although this outing was his idea, I felt bad making him pay for things for me.
He accepted but still got other stuff because he said he was hungry.

"You didn't eat today?" I asked him.
"Nah, I ate."
"Then why are you so hungry?"
"Because I'm high as a kite, Bunny." he snickered.
"Oh..."
Maybe I wasn't high enough? I'm not that hungry. I didn't even know that the two went hand in hand.