65

We arrived at a small restaurant to get something to eat.

Right when I opened the door and stepped inside, I felt a hand attack my ass.
I turned and looked at Isaiah, completely stunned.
"I told you." he stated.
I pulled my shorts down.
"Atta girl."

We walked over to the counter and stood in line.

Isaiah draped his arms over my shoulders and I held his hands.
He held my hand on the way here.
For some reason his touch felt different tonight.
He kissed my cheek.

I feel like...

It's a touch of guilt, not just affection.

I think he still feels bad about earlier.

I kissed his hand.
"Why'd you do that?" he asked me.
"I felt like it." I replied.
He kissed my cheek again then my neck.

It was our turn to order.

~~~

We arrived back at his apartment and I put away my hair stuff in his bathroom except for my bonnet.

I left the bathroom and went to his bedroom. I saw him sitting in bed with his head leaning back against the headboard while he stared at the ceiling.

I walked over to him and crawled into his lap to sit straddling it.
He looked at me.
"You know I'm okay, right?" I asked him.
His eyes looked down and he didn't answer me.
"I'm not hurt and you're the reason I'm not hurt."
"I'm the reason you were there in the first place."
"No, I asked to go with you to Westdale."
"And I should've said no. I'm the one who asked you to go to the party."
"And I said yes. So it's my fault."
"I shouldn't have given you the option."
"Isaiah..."
"No. You can't talk me out of this, so stop tryin'. I'm pissed and I'm frustrated and I'm guilty. If somethin' would've happened to you because I brought you over there, when I knew it was dangerous, I would've lost my fuckin' mind, man."

I took a deep breath.
"Well...I don't blame you. And we've come to the agreement that I won't go with you anymore. But...can I make one more request?" I asked.
"Sure."
"Can you limit how often you go over there?" I asked and avoided eye contact because I knew this might seem like a disrespectful question.

He didn't answer.

"I know that's where all of your friends and basically family are and I'm sorry that I asked you something like that but I was already afraid of you going there before today happened. Before I knew about that kind of thing happening so casually." I looked at him. "Isaiah, no one was phased that there was a drive by. They were phased because two people died. There's a difference. A lot of people got up like it was no big deal. Baby, I am scared of that place." I admitted. "I'm scared of you going there and not coming back. You aren't getting paid. I'm not asking you to quit your job. I'm asking you to lower the risks just a little bit. Can we please just minimize how often you give me a heart attack? I don't want you dying on me either." I sniffed and felt a tear run.

"I don't want you to stop talking to LJ and Kareem or Andre. I just...want you safe. I want you to be safe and I don't like not being able to focus because I know you're over there and anything could happen. You don't have to stop going completely. Just...a bit less." I wiped my face.
He took it and kissed my lips then cheek. "Alright. Don't cry, I hear you." He wiped my tears.

"What if I only went on the weekends?" he offered. "Is that better? Either Saturday or Sunday."
I nodded. "That's better."
"Alright, only on the weekends. Stop cryin', I don't like seein' you cry." He kissed where my tears fell.

I opened my bonnet packaging but he took it and put it on.

"Oh it's comfortable." he stated and I giggled.
"It feels nice doesn't it?" I asked.
"Soft."
I took it off of him and put it on my head instead, stuffing all of my hair inside since the shower brought my curls back out.
He looked at it.
"Isaiah, this is not your first time seeing me with a bonnet on." I stated.
"No, I'm just thinkin'."
"About?"
"How well does it stay on?"
"I don't know...pretty well I think. My old one hasn't fallen off before. I don't know about this one."
"Wanna test it out?" He smiled and his hands grabbed my ass.
"Isaiah!" I yelled.
"Yea, you'll be shouting it for real in a minute." He started kissing my neck.

This man is a pervert.

But tonight wasn't the night I could go through with it.

I picked his face up and kissed his lips.
"Maybe tomorrow?" I offered.
He kissed me again and I felt his hands slide back up to my waist.
"Make a deal with me." he stated.
"Okay."
"You gotta sing the song your mother used to sing to you instead."
"Really? That's what you want?" I said in shock.
"That's what I want."
"It's a pretty popular song. Her voice was just really pretty. My dad said that the song was stuck in her head all day the first time she sang it to me. So I guess that's why she chose it."
"And I want you to do it." he insisted.
"Okay, but if I sound bad you can't get mad at me."
"We'll see."
I scoffed and got out of his lap.

"Come here. If we're doing this, we have to do it right." I demanded.
"On the titties?" he said and looked far too happy.
"Quit being a slut. Lay." I instructed.
He laid with his head on my chest.
I began combing my fingers through his soft hair.

"Now how did it start..." I tried to remember.

I hoped I could do it as much justice as my mom did.

I remembered the song. Sunday kind of love. I had the words memorized by the time I was seven. I started while he laid on me.
My fingers kept busy in his hair.
I was on the second verse and looked down at him since he was so quiet.

I began humming the lyrics softly while I brushed his hair out of his face.

"I want a...love that's on the square..." Its actually been a while since the last time I sang this song. Usually I hum it when I'm cleaning or having a long hair day.

I could see that his eyes were closed and he was asleep.

There must be some kind of melatonin in this song. It's a love song so I never understood how my mother could put me and my father to sleep with it.
Maybe her tone of voice.
The way she sang it was just so soft. So gentle and angelic. Like my eardrums were being caressed and hugged, telling me it was okay to be at ease. It was the kind of gentle singing that makes your body relax and puts you in a trance.
I wish I had her voice.
To have the ability to do that.

"I need a Sunday...kind...of love..."