23

We arrived back at his house and I got to my car.

"You gonna call me when you get home?" he asked, leaning into my window as I started it.
"Do you want me to...?"
He snickered. "What you think?"
"Yes?"
"Yea, Bunny, I want you to." he smiled.
"Okay...I'll talk to you later then."
"Where's my goodbye kiss?" he smirked.
I just stared at my steering wheel with both hands gripping it.

I didn't even think we were supposed to kiss the last time. Now he wants another one?
I really wished he'd stop making me prove how awkward I am.

A finger gently slid under my chin and it was held between his index finger and thumb, he pulled my face to his and he was left a centimeter away with a smile on his face.
"You think too much." he said before softly placing our lips together.
It started off as a cute peck, then our lips parted and fit between one another's for one more.
He let me go. "Drive safe." he smiled and backed away.
I was in awe of what we just did, his dimple, and the pearly whites.

I backed out of his driveway and left.

I gently bit my bottom lip. It felt like it was memorizing Isaiah's contact.

I licked them and immediately fell embarrassed like I wasn't supposed to do that.

____________________________________

I made it home and luckily my dad was at work and unable to ask me where I'd been.

I showered then sat on my bed staring at Isaiah's contact in my phone.

I know he told me to but...maybe I'd seem too eager if I did it right away.
I looked at the time.
It's been an hour since then.
I sighed.

I clicked on the call button then felt my heart race as I just stared around at the walls of my room and waited.
I didn't expect him to answer to be honest. I guess I just did it to say that I did and to not start any problems tomorrow at work in case he asks why I didn't.

My hand went for it to hang up, but...he answered.

"Hello?" he greeted. Somehow my heartbeat was even faster.
The depth of his voice always catches me off guard.

"Bunny?" he called.
"Hi..." I greeted.
He snickered. "Hey. Did you call me then throw the phone out the window or somethin'?"
"No, I um...I was by my closet and putting on a hoodie." I lied on the spot.
"Yea, okay."
I laid my forehead on my knees.
"Your dad bother you about how late you got home?"
"No. He's at work."
"He work night shifts?"
"Yea."
"Damn. Shouldn't have told me that." he said quietly.

"Did you figure out where we're going tomorrow?" I asked him to change the subject.
"Yea."
"Is it in Westdale again?" I asked nervously.
"No, it's not in Westdale again." he replied.
"Okay. Then what is it?"
"We're gonna see a movie."
"Which one?"
"Damn, you don't like surprises?" he chuckled.
"I like surprises..."
"Then let me surprise you." he said sweetly.
"Okay..." I don't know why that made me smile to myself. It was just a movie.

"Bunny."
"Yea?" I answered.
"I know you don't talk to a lot of people, but don't tell nobody what you saw today."
"I won't."
"Good."

I went silent as I remembered it.

"I'm sorry I scared you, beautiful." he stated.
"It's okay."
"You not mad at me?"
"No..."
"Good. I don't want you to be."

~~~

I was a bit tired the next morning since Isaiah and I talked on the phone until 3am and usually I'm asleep by 11. We'd talked about everything. We now knew each other's birthdays, favorite colors, favorite movies, he had two because he's indecisive and he also thought it was cute that I went on a rant about my favorite. But like I said, I really like cinematography.
I know his favorite food. I know how much he loves hoodies, but really anyone who's seen him could see that. If he wasn't shirtless, he was in a sweatshirt. I think he just thinks they're really comfortable. He told me he counted that he has 46.

It was nice learning about him. And hearing him be so curious about me. Every time I gave him what my favorite was, he'd ask me why, and listen attentively. I knew I still had other things to hear about him, because I definitely hadn't learned everything, but it was still a good start.

When I woke up, I traveled downstairs to see my dad asleep on the couch. Sometimes when he gets home from work he's too tired to walk up the stairs. It's gotten to the point where I'd be more shocked if he was in bed.

I had my usual cup of iced coffee in the morning and a bowl of cereal. My dad is the only one in this house that can drink straight black coffee. He thinks the way I make coffee makes it not coffee anymore. He calls it a milkshake with a drop of coffee. Each time he says it, I laugh at him.

I heard groaning as he moved around on the couch.

"Good morning." I stated. "Can I get you anything?"
"No, I'm good, kiddo. I'm goin' right to bed." he grunted and got up exhaustedly.
"You work today?" he asked as he got to the stairs.
"I work everyday. I just make the hours."
"Right. What a luxury."
I snickered as I watched him walk up the stairs.

I gathered an idea.
I'd just gotten a paycheck.
I needed to deposit it and afterwards, I decided I'd get my dad a gift. His birthday had already passed since it was in February. Father's Day wasn't for a few more months. I couldn't think of any gifting holidays in late March.
None.
I suppose this would just be from gratitude itself.
Yea, he's my dad, but I'm also an adult that he doesn't need to take care of anymore, so I figured I'd do something nice to prove I was thankful for what he does for me.

The only problem would be figuring out what to get him.
My dad never asks for anything and when you ask what he wants he just says sleep. Or a beer.

I ate a spoonful of cereal as I thought to myself.
What do normal 43 year old men want? A grill?