79

A full year into my new job and I'd been following Mr. Durango around nonstop.
It was a dream come true.
I know a lot of people expect their job to be one way then they get there and it's the complete opposite but I was having a great time working with even greater people.

He was even working on a new movie. Which I believed was why he needed an assistant in the first place.

"Alright, are you ready?" he asked me.
"For what?" I wondered.
"Casting calls. You'll be there and calling in the actors who are trying out for the role. Just to make things easier, obviously you'd be needed to help."
"Oh! Right. Yes, I'm ready."
"Great."

We hopped in the car and he'd brought us to a studio office where multiple people were lined up to audition.
It was exhilarating.

He led me to the room we'd be working in and there were already two other people inside talking.

"Sofia, Tommy, this is Willow. She's my assistant and she'll be here to help with the auditions." Mr. Durango explained. "Willow, this is Sofia, our casting director, and Tommy, my assistant director."
"It's nice to meet you." They both said and I shook each of their hands.
"You as well." I smiled.

I was handed a clipboard.
"Names should be written on there. I want you to write down my concerns in the text box next to their pictures and names."
"Yes, sir. I got it."
"Perfect." He smiled then went to their snack table. "Feel free to grab whatever if you get hungry, Willow." he told me.
"Thank you." I smiled.

This job is so much better than I expected it to be.
But after reading peoples experiences with him, I shouldn't be surprised. He's one of few humble and very loved directors.

"Where is David?" Mr. Durango asked as he fixed a cup of coffee.
"Traffic I believe." Sofia answered.
"Alright. That's fine, we can get started."
I waited to be told what to do.

"Willow, please call in our first guest." Mr. Durango stated and sipped his coffee.

I went to the door and saw the crowd of people waiting.

I read the list.

"Michelle DuPont?" I called.
"Oh, that's me!" she shot up and walked over.

She was fanning herself. "Can you tell I'm a bit nervous?" she asked.
"I'm sure you'll do great." I smiled at her.
"Thank you so much."
I held the door open for her and she walked inside, I followed behind and shut it.

"Hi." The table of superiors greeted her with smiles.
"Hi..." she replied nervously.
"Are you nervous?" Sofia asked.
"Just a little..." Michelle giggled.
"That's alright. We get it all the time. Take as long as you need."
"I think I'm ready." she stated.
"You sure?"
Michelle nodded.
"Okay. Let's begin."

____________________________________

Fifteen actors down and so far it only looked like they had three potentials.

David had also finally joined around twenty minutes ago. He's also nice and he's the other casting director besides Sofia.

A guy was next and I'd called him in. He was very attractive so I'm sure that's helpful to them.

They're told to bring a monologue to recite and if they do well enough with that, then they can read from Mr. Durango's movie script. So far not a lot of people have gotten to that part.

But he did.

"Wow. Very very nice." Sofia stated.
"How long have you been acting, Morgan?" Tommy asked him.
"Since I was 11." Morgan answered kindly.
"Willow, please come here." Mr. Durango stated.

I walked over to him.

He handed me some papers clipped together.

It was the script.

I looked back at him.

"I'd like to see how Morgan handles dialogue. You can act it out alongside him or just speak normally but I'd like you to assist. Try page 107."
"Oh-..."

I was surprised and looked at everyone but they just casually flipped to page 107.

I followed in their footsteps and walked to Morgan.

He smiled at me. "Hi."
"Hi." I replied.

I originally thought that I'd just say the lines but I was afraid that might throw him off if I sounded nonchalant. So I decided to act along with him. Which I wasn't afraid of because I wasn't auditioning anyway.

"Take a few minutes to gather yourselves. You can start whenever you two are ready." Mr. Durango instructed.

I read over page 107 and even a bit of page 106 so I could understand the context. Morgan had the first line so when we'd start was on him but we were both focusing on memorizing the small section. We'd be playing the roles of the two main characters. Annie and Daniel.
It was a love story set in the south and 1940.
I definitely would not get the role for this film. Especially since Morgan seemed to have their attention and he is a white man.

Now I had to do my best at a 1940s southern accent.

"Ready?" Morgan asked.
I nodded. "Yea."

"You ain't miss me?" Morgan began.
I just glared at him like my character was supposed to then looked away.
"Come on, sweetheart."
"I told you I didn't want you running off and being a part of it. And you left anyway."
"Annie..."
"Do not 'Annie' me." I commanded. I was supposed to act distraught. "Were you there?" I asked him.
He didn't answer like he was supposed to.
"Daniel, I need you to answer me truthfully. Were you-..."
"No."
"You're a liar."
"Annie, I wasn't there. What's it gonna take for you to believe me?"
"Then where were you?" I took a step closer to him and looked in his eyes. "Hm?"
"I was with my family."
"Do not lie to me!" I said with wet eyes.
He looked away again.
"HOW DARE YOU NOT LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME AND BE HONEST WITH ME!"
He looked back at me reluctantly.
"Tell me that you had zero hand in the death of that boy." I instructed.
"I didn't do it." He looked back at me.
I looked away in disbelief and even sniffed to sell it.
"Annie, baby, please." He brought my face back to look at him.
"Why don't I believe you?"
"Because you don't think I've changed." he responded.
"Well have you?"
"Would you believe me if I told you yes?" he asked and wiped the tears I faked.
"I don't know..." I said sadly and quietly.

We both looked back down at our scripts.

"I forgot the next part." I snickered.
"So did I..." he giggled as well.

Our reading was interrupted by applause.

We both looked at the table.

David, Sofia, and Tommy were standing and clapping.

I looked at Mr. Durango who had his chin resting in his hand.

"Willow, you didn't tell me you could act." he stated.
"Oh...I didn't think I could..." I scoffed.
He squinted.
"The chemistry was brilliant." Sofia said as they all sat back down.
"Very well done, you two." David added.

"Thank you." Morgan responded happily.

I was surprised I'd gotten that response.
It was really fun though. I see how people enjoy it so much.

"Willow, do you want to be an actress?" Mr. Durango wondered.
"Oh...um...I don't know I've always kind of thought of the behind the scenes aspect. I never really considered acting."
"Are you against it?" he asked.
"No, I don't think so. That was much more fun than I thought it would be." I snickered.
"I bet."