78

"Fantastic. For someone who's never actually had a job in the large world of film before, your resume is incredibly interesting. Plus, that wouldn't deter me anyway. I believe in giving anyone who has their heart in it, a chance. And Valedictorian at your university where you studied cinematography is just brilliant." Durango complimented.
"Thank you so much." I smiled. "Film has always been a passion of mine. I think it's important because a lot of changes can be made in the world simply through the use of entertainment. You tell stories and people finally listen. I've inarguably learned more about my own history from movies than high school. I think that's powerful and I want to be a part of it."
"That's beautiful, Willow. And I'd have to agree."
I grinned.

"I've also watched all of your movies at least five times." I snickered shyly.
"If you think flattery will help you get this job..."
I got serious.
"You're completely correct." he continued and I laughed.

"Well, I do have other applicants. About fifty others that I need to go through. But I will make sure to get back to you as soon as possible." he stated.
"Okay, thank you so much for your time. It was an honor."
"The pleasure is all mine." He smiled. "You have a good day, Willow."
"You as well."
We hung up our call and I shut my computer.

My face found my hands and I collapsed back onto my bed.

I just spoke to Robert Durango.

The Robert Durango.

I'm having heart palpitations.

If I got this job...I don't know what I'd do.
Probably explode.

I got up and walked to my dad's room.

He was only barely waking up from his night shift exhaustion.

"Dad..." I whispered.
"Hm?" he grunted.
"I did it."
"Did what?" he groaned.
"I had the interview...!"
"That's nice, kiddo. How'd it go?"
"Really well. Hopefully I get it. I'm praying that I do."
"You will. Don't even worry about it."
I smiled then left his room and headed downstairs towards the kitchen.

I wished I could shout the news from the rooftops and I wasn't even hired yet.
I wanted to tell other people.

Like...

I can't keep thinking about him and being strung up.
It's probably not healthy but I knew that if I could tell him...he'd be even more excited for me than I was. And he'd actually yell it from the rooftop.

I needed to let it go.

I made myself a cup of coffee and because of the good mood I was in, I sat on the couch, in front of the tv, and found my favorite Robert Durango film. Then clicked play.

This was all I needed.

I could hear my dad finally leaving his room.
He came downstairs.

He saw the tv screen. "That time of the year again, huh?" he chuckled.
"I had to. It's practically a special occasion."
"Yea, I get it."

I sipped my coffee while the movie started.

"Was he nice?" my dad asked before coming to sit down next to me.
"Oh yea, very. Nicer than you'd expect a rich and successful man to be. I think he's pretty humble which is someone I would want to work under."
"Right."
"And maybe one day, I'll be able to write my own film that he'll love and it'll get tons of awards. Some day, maybe not soon, but some day."
"I believe in you. You can do whatever you set your mind to. Just promise me one thing."
"What is it?" I asked and looked at him.
"When you get that job, and you move states away, don't roll yourself into a ball and shy away. This is somethin' you've wanted since you were little. Be confident. Walk in with your head high like you deserve to be there. I've let you be shy for 23 years. I'm callin' it quits now."
"I will. I promise." I agreed.
"Good. That's all I need. Be brave. You deserve this. Treat yourself like it."

We both looked back at the tv screen to watch the movie.

Once this was over, I'd send an email to Mr. Durango, thanking him for his time and kind words today. Just to show that even if I didn't get the job, I was still appreciative.

~~~

Every day for the past week I have paced waiting for a response.
But today, I received an automatic email saying I was going to get a phone call at some point today.

So I stood pacing in my room, back and forth, answering any unknown calls.
The amount of telemarketers that decided to ring me today made me violent. It's like they knew I was waiting for something important and decided to mess with me.

It rang again and I quickly picked it up.

"Hello?" I answered.
"Hi. Willow Parker?"
"Yes, that's me."

My heart was racing.

"Congratulations, you've been chosen to be the new assistant to Mr. Robert Durango."
I mute the phone and screamed until my throat hurt.

I fell to my knees and my heart beat even faster.

My dad ran to my room.
"WHAT HAPPENED?!" he shouted.
"Hello?" I heard the woman say on the phone.

I quickly grabbed it and unmuted.

"Yes, I'm here. I'm sorry."
"Hi, it's okay. Would you still like the job or..."
"Yes! Yes, I would love it!" I responded.
"Okay great! Information will be sent out about your moving situation and you will be given 8 weeks to get situated and moved in. Mr. Durango should contact you himself soon and explain in further detail but he's a busy man so I handled the gist of it." she explained.
"Okay, no problem. Thank you so much."
"Of course! Welcome to the team!"
"Thank you!"
We hung up.

I got up and hugged my dad while I cried in excitement. He hugged me too and rubbed my back.
"Good work, kid. Good work." he stated.