33

I woke up this morning, happily.

I'd spend the whole day wanting to go to work which wasn't common. But I knew even if I went right now, Isaiah wouldn't be there because he was at his own job. So instead, I grabbed my keys and decided I'd go to the store and try to find that gift I wanted to get my dad.

I drove to the bank first to deposit my check. It felt so nice having more money and not stressing about paying for anything. This job paid much more than I thought it would but it's probably just from the simple fact that I always worked for the rich and elderly. Pam isn't old but she also doesn't really know how to manage the money she has when it comes to paying for things. Sure she'll eat a ham sandwich for dinner but then she'll spend $200 on an oil change. Isaiah told me that story. He had to go back to the mechanic and basically threaten him to give back the money he'd basically stolen from his mother.
Then he spent an entire hour explaining to her average prices to fix a car.

When I successfully put in my check, I drove to stores my dad usually shopped at and got out to look around.

I saw a few watches, briefcases, boots, but my dad didn't need that stuff. Plus, I don't even know his shoe size.

I knew he needed a wallet because right now he kind of just keeps his cash and credit cards in this old worn out wallet from the nineties.
I looked through the stash of choices. This was all real leather so it would be pretty expensive.

Then I remembered he also needed a new jacket. The one he keeps wearing is also old. It still keeps him warm but I think he deserves better.

I began walking around.

~~~

My phone rang while I was at the register. I'd gotten a nice brown leather jacket and a wallet.

The contact read 'Isaiah'.

"Hello?" I answered and wondered if he could tell by the tone of my voice that I was happy to hear from him.
"Guess what." he stated.
"What?" I slid in my card.
"I went to see the apartment."
"And how did you like it?" I asked.
"I signed off on it."
"Really?!"
"Yea." he laughed.
"That's so good! Is it like the pictures?"
"Yea, just bigger. Want me to show you?" he offered.
"Yea..."
"Where are you?"
"I'm at the store right now." The lady took my receipt and placed it in the bag then handed it to me.

"Have a good one." she told me.
"You too."

"I'm leaving the store." I fixed.
"What'd you get?" he wondered.
"A gift for my dad."
"It's his birthday?"
"No, I just felt like it."
"Oh, well, aren't you sweet?" he mocked.
"Shut up." I snickered.
"C'mon, when you get home?"
"I'm on my way right now, you're so impatient." I said and unlocked my car as I arrived.
"You gonna come with me?"
"Yes, can I drop this off at home first?"
"Yea, I'll just come pick you up."
"Oh-...ummmmmmmmmmmm..."
"What the fuck?"
"What?"
"Why'd you give me that long ass 'um'?"
"Because..."
"Because what?"
"...My dad's home."

I heard a sigh on the other line.

"So what you tellin' me is, you don't want him to see you gettin' in my car?" he questioned.

I felt bad about it. "Yes..." I replied anyway.
"Alright. Then you come to my place and we'll get in my car."
"Okay, that works."
"A'ight. Tell me when you on your way."
"Okay."
"A'ight, bye."
"Bye."

We hung up the phone.

I was excited to see his new place but also thought it was sweet of him to want me to see it before he even moved in.

I drove home and took out the receipt to my dad's gift so he couldn't complain about the price.

When I made it back to the house, I hid the bag behind my back and walked inside.

"DAD!" I shouted.
"YEA, KIDDO?! I'M UPSTAIRS!"
I closed the front door behind myself and ran upstairs.

I found my dad sitting at the edge of his bed, with his wave brush in hand, making them neat, and his tv on.

"I got you something." I smiled proudly.
"What's up?" He looked at me.

I held out the bag and walked over to him.

He chuckled as he took it. "This is for me?"
"Yep. I got paid and figured I'd get you something special."
"Wow. Thanks, munchkin." He pulled me in by my head and kissed the top of it.
"Open it!" I commanded eagerly.
"Alright, alright!" he snickered.
He dug through the bag.

I watched impatiently as he took the jacket out.

"Woooww..." he said in awe. "This is nice!" he claimed while examining his new property.
He sniffed it and I laughed.
"This is real leather?" he asked me.
"Yep." I smiled.
"Unbelievable." He slid it on and stood up. "Oh yea. This is perfect." he stated and brushed it off as he looked down at himself.
"There's a wallet in the bag too. Because I know how much you needed a new one."
"You gotta be kidding me," he said happily and grabbed the bag with a smile to go back through for the wallet.
He found it and opened it.

He looked at all of the room and pockets.

I watched him grab the wallet on his nightstand and he opened that one too.

He took something out and unfolded it before he began sliding it into the wallet.
He looked at whatever he'd done with immense joy on his face.

"What is it?" I wondered.
He turned it to face me.

In the little plastic window, there was an old photo of my mom on the couch, my dad standing next to her and leaning down into frame, and me as a newborn baby in her arms.

"I don't have to pull it out to see it anymore. I see you two anytime I open it."
I smiled at the image.