67

We arrived at Pam's place after I brought my dad his groceries.

There were other cars in the driveway.

"Aw fuck..." Isaiah sighed.
"It's a party." I stated.
"Guess that's why she made sure I brought you."
"She told you to bring me?"
"Yea."
"Awww..." I smiled.
"Why're you surprised? I think she likes you more than me." he scoffed as we got out.

We both walked to the door and he opened it.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!" Everyone shouted.

I watched Isaiah laugh nervously and his hand scratched through his hair.
"Thank you, thank you." he stated.

Pam ran up to us and pulled his head down to kiss his forehead.

"I have everyone here!" she said excitedly.
I could remember some of the members of Isaiah's family. I saw Andre, LJ, Kareem, Kevin, a pair of old people that I thought were Isaiah's grandparents.
"Happy birthday, sweet boy." she stated and kissed his head again.

"Willow, come on, you can meet the rest of the family." Pam insisted and pulled me off.

Isaiah went to his friends while I was carried to the family.

"I am going to brag on you. You're the prettiest girl he's brought home. I mean the other two weren't ugly, the boy's got taste but you know, you just look like you'll be a star one day." she stated as she hurried over.
I laughed a bit. "Um...Thank you..."

"Y'all, this is Isaiah's girlfriend, Willow." she introduced once we stopped.
"Hi, it's nice to meet you." I smiled.
"I remember you. Glad to know Isaiah hasn't fucked up, yet." said his Aunt Brandy.
"No, this one is special. I don't think he will." Pam replied.
That was nice to hear.

"That's Brandy, Justin, Mark, Monica, Kasey, Dylan, Ryan, Morgan, Tristen, and..." she turned around.
I could tell that some were cousins while the others were aunts or uncles just based off of their visible ages. "Oh, there's Kelsey."
I looked to see where she was facing and saw Isaiah holding Kelsey to his side while he spoke to his friends. LJ gave her a fist bump.

"Isaiah's grandparents are over there." Pam said then began pulling me to them.

Isaiah had followed not too long behind us and his arm draped over my shoulder.
I was shocked he was even over here, I knew he probably still had some resentment towards his grandparents after they kicked out his mother for having him.

"Oh, well I guess you can introduce her." Pam stated.
"What's happening?" Isaiah's grandmother asked.
I wish I knew. I thought this party was supposed to focus on Isaiah.
"This is Isaiah's girlfriend, Willow. Isn't she stunning?!" Pam said happily.
I laughed nervously.

His grandmother sipped her drink before she walked off and his grandfather nudged him in the arm.

"Had to get one in before marriage, huh?" he chuckled.
"What d'you mean?" Isaiah scoffed curiously.
His grandfather gestured at me.
I stood there confused as well.
"Dad, what?" Pam asked.
"The girl. I mean ain't no shame in it. I had one before I settled down myself."
"One what? A girlfriend?" Isaiah questioned.
"A..." he gestured at me.
I was growing uncomfortable.
"Dad, what the hell are you talkin' about?" Pam wondered.
"The boy's got a black girl. What're you, blind?" the man stated.

I'm usually quiet but I don't think I've ever been quieter than at that moment. I didn't know how to respond. Mostly because I didn't understand why my race was brought up.

"Now ain't nothin' wrong with that. I had one or two before I decided to actually settle down too. Everybody wants to try one out at least once." he continued.
"A'ight stop talkin' about her like she's a fuckin' pet." Isaiah spoke up. "She's a human being."
"I didn't say she wasn't. I'm just sayin' I see that you decided to have a little taste before finding somebody to settle down and marry with. That's all." He slapped Isaiah's shoulder before sipping his beer.
Isaiah slapped the can out of his hand. "THE FUCK IS YOUR FUCKIN' PROBLEM?!"

His grandfather looked at him in complete shock. We had the rest of the room's attention.

"Have you lost your mind?" his grandfather asked.
"HAVE YOU?!" Isaiah returned.
"What did I do wrong?"
"Don't talk about my girlfriend like she's some fuckin' food, you piece of shit!"
"Watch your mouth. I didn't talk about her like she was food. I complimented you."
"How?!"
"You got one! I'm telling you congratulations for venturing out and gettin' one before getting married!" he exclaimed. "They aren't easy."
"Got one?! And why the fuck do you keep sayin' that like I'm not marrying her?!"
His grandfather scoffed. "Because you're not marrying her."
"Why ain't I?!"
"You're not marrying a black girl, Isaiah."
"Why?! You think I won't find a ring good enough? You might be right." Isaiah stated.
His grandfather looked at me. "Can you not intrude in a family discussion?"
"I-..."

"What's going on over here?" Justin came and asked.
"Your dad's a fuckin' racist." Isaiah answered.
"I'm not a racist. I don't care if he dates one of them but the boy plans to marry this girl." his grandfather replied. "I told him no. He's tryin' to ruin this family and I'm the bad guy?"
"ARE YOU FUCKING HEARING YOURSELF?!" Isaiah shouted angrily.
"Isaiah, he's old fashioned man, come on." Justin responded.
"YO ARE YOU FOR REAL RIGHT NOW?!" Isaiah asked.

I was honestly shocked his uncle said that after remembering the man tried to get my number before.

Brandy walked over. "Y'all are getting louder by the second. What is happening?"
"YOUR DAD AND YOUR BROTHER ARE TELLIN' ME I CAN'T MARRY WILLOW BECAUSE SHE'S BLACK!" Isaiah explained.
Brandy looked at them.
"I didn't say that. I just said he can't be mad at dad for thinkin' that way because he's old school." Justin shrugged.
"Are you two serious right now?" Brandy asked, disappointed.

I just stood there uncomfortably.

"Dad, I think it's time you leave." Pam spoke up.

"The fuckin' nerve of you, man. I got black friends who're more like family to me than you EVER were!" Isaiah yelled. "You haven't told me happy birthday ONCE before today. You wouldn't even be celebrating my fuckin' birthday if my mom ain't win that fuckin' money, go fuck yourself! I'll marry who I wanna marry and it'll be her. You go be a racist piece of shit somewhere else and don't ever speak on my girl again. We're not family, whatever decisions I make don't fuckin' affect you. You ain't shit to me, bitch!"
"Isaiah, relax, man!" Justin yelled.
"NO, FUCK HIM AND YOU!" Isaiah argued.

His grandfather looked at me again.
"See how you already tore this family apart? Did you teach him that? To be loud and angry? If he's smart he'll leave you for the right woman and stop wasting his ti-..."
All I saw were hands grabbing his shirt before I turned away and pushed through the family to walk upstairs to Isaiah's old room.

I walked inside and softly shut the door before sitting on the bed.
I felt bad for crying. My dad always told me to never let ignorant people get to me and to fight back; and if I couldn't fight then I should at least stand up for myself, but I didn't know what to say.
That was the first time I'd really experienced it.
I'd always gone to predominantly black private schools and I graduated from an HBCU because my dad wanted me around my own people. Our neighborhood is diverse but I didn't really talk to them except for the the old white lady that would give me cookies if she saw me outside. She's still there but she's gotten even older and has an at home nurse taking care of her now.
I wasn't supposed to let him hurt me.
I stood there for so long because I thought I'd be able to speak up for myself at some point but instead I had tears leaking down my face.

This hurts.
He didn't call me a slur, he didn't touch me, but it still hurts.