❊What is a family?❊

You lived a happy and peaceful life under the careful guidance of your parents

You lived a happy and peaceful life under the careful guidance of your parents. They were both leaders of the clan since your mother married someone from the third branch and took over your grandma's role as Clan Leader. As the Umemoto's heads, their main focus was securing prosperous marriages for all and training their children well.

From the bottom of your heart, you truly love them. Not once had you wavered in your love for your family. Even when your sister stole your husband; even when your parents turned their backs on you during your hour of need.

So when you receive a summon to the Umemoto main branch estate, your heart flutters with expectations. 'Maybe they finally want me to return home!'

The idea fills you with energy for the day, and you begin to prepare yourself for the visit. It takes a bit longer than usual to don a regal kimono with the lack of help, but you make do with what you are capable of. Your hair is tied up with a hair accessory while your makeup is heavier than the everyday look.

You take one last look at yourself in the mirror before rushing off for your parents' abode. The pace quickens with every positive thought of the future, every positive reason for their summons. Many ideas come to mind until the dread of your pregnancy returns.

It has only been a few days since you had been kicked out of the Uchiha estate. Some have become aware of the strife you had with Madara, sullying your reputation ever more with baseless rumors. Your parents surely have been notified of it, and it makes you wonder if they call on you to berate you.

[x]

On your knees, you remain still as your parents sit on the other side of the table. Your mother holds a fan to hide her emotions, but it's plain in her eyes that she holds little regard for you. Her pleasantries are terse while your father only stares at you apathetically.

"Despite your failures, we did receive a request for your hand in marriage. Honestly, they wanted your younger sister but this is beneath her... and she has already done well for herself."

You mentally scoff at your mother's description of your sister's heinous act. "Who exactly is it?"

"Onoshiro from the Land of Earth. You have been selected to be his third wife. Do not worry about producing an heir. He has no need for them since the other two gave him several." She presses the fan closer to her face as the silence looms over. "...And? Where is your gratitude?"

You furrow your brows. "Gratitude?"

"I remember when we secured your last marriage, you cried tears of joy and hugged us for our efforts. We certainly did well, seeing as you are neither the most beautiful nor brightest of the three daughters."

You blink a few times at the misunderstanding mixed with an insult. "Mother... You are sending me so far away."

Her eyes narrow. "Enough shame has been placed on our family because of you. Besides, it is a respectable family and the man has enough kids."