The Promise

Once I was sure they were completely gone, my anxiety got the best of me. I started to panic. I yanked my hand out of Muzan's hold and threw my hands to my face.

They're going to look for the doctor!

"They're going to --!"

"Shh." Muzan cupped his hand to my mouth.

He wrapped his other arm around me, holding me in place against him.

"We'll be fine," he said in a low voice. "Let them search. They won't find him, and it won't matter." He brought his lips to my ear. "Shh ... we'll be fine. Do you think I'm afraid of anyone now? Your parents or mine? No, no, no, I'm not afraid." He lightly nipped my ear. "I'm not afraid and you shouldn't be, either. You have nothing to fear. I am here to protect you."

I am afraid, I thought. I am afraid!

"I promise, I'll always take care of you, Sakura," Muzan whispered.

I think I'm even afraid of you, Muzan!

"Trust in me," he whispered. "Trust in me."

He's starting to sound ... desperate?

"Trust in me."

I turned my face to look at him, at his insecure, pained face.

"I promise, I'll give use the perfect life. I promise," Muzan said. He moved his hand from my mouth and put it on my cheek. "Give me some time, and I'll do it." He caressed my cheek with my thumb. "As long as we have each other, we'll be fine. Don't you agree?"

I stared at him for a moment before nodding.

"Let your parents curse us. We'll still be untouchable," Muzan said. "Just let them. As long as we are together, nothing can go wrong."

That is how it was, and that is how it always would be.