Tamayo's Return

I couldn't stay around there. I had to escape with Gyutaro, even if it meant that I wouldn't be able to kill Tamayo.

Tamayo snickered. She stepped closer to me. "Why are you hesitating to kill me, Sakura?" she asked in a mocking tone. "Is that skeleton demon making you soft?"

I grit my teeth. I thought about sending tentacles at her, but she would only poison them with wisteria upon impact. Even if I killed her, I'd risk being severely poisoned myself.

How the hell did that bitch get wisteria immunity!?

My eyes shone bright red. I grounded myself with my footing.

And how is that bitch still alive!?

"Such a pathetic friend you made. Is he really holding back the great Kibutsuji Muzan's little pet?"

I held Gyutaro firmer against me. I released several tentacles from my body and used them to spring us up into the sky, above the height the wisteria smoke had reached. I heard Tamayo's high-pitched laugh as I jolted through the air, disappearing far away from the scene. Once we were completely in clean air, I removed my hand from Gyutaro's face and held him with both of my arms.

How did all this happen? How could this have happened?

I caught sight of the castle.

I thought that Yoriichi killed her!

I grit my teeth, snarling. My fangs grew larger from anger.

That fucking Tamayo laughed at me! I left her laughing at me!

We reached the castle. I landed on the porch outside of my wing.

She won't get away with laughing at me!

I heard Gyutaro's loud, panting breaths.

The fury in my face disappeared. My eyes stopped shining and my fangs returned to their normal size. I looked at Gyutaro.

"Hey, Fleabag," I said in a gentle tone. "You'll be all right."

He nodded, taking in long, deep breaths.

I carried him inside. His breathing gradually got closer to normal. I brought him to his futon in his room and set him down.

"Gyutaro ..." I said. I put my hand to his forehead.

"I'm ... fine ..." he said, still taking deep breaths to clean out his lungs.

Tears started to form in my eyes. I wrapped my arms around Gyutaro and pulled him into an embrace. "Gyutaro, I'm so sorry."

He held me and set his chin on my shoulder. "Why are you sorry?" He took a couple breaths. "I failed. I'm supposed to be your bodyguard, but I couldn't do it."

"Don't worry about that," I said. "All I care about is that you're okay." Despite trying to hold it back, I started to sob a little, very quietly.

Gyutaro was silent for a moment. "Sakura?" he said softly. "Sakura, why are you crying?"

"I don't want to lose you."

Gyutaro sniffled.

"I don't know what I'll do if I lose you."

He started to cry. He squeezed me in his embrace. "I'm not dying! I'm not dying! I'm all right now! You're not gonna lose me, ever!" He sobbed into my shoulder. "I'll always be here with you, Scarface. I promise." He squeezed me some more. "You don't have to worry about me." He paused, whimpering a bit into my shoulder. "But don't be careless around wisteria yourself because something could happen to you!" he blurted out. "I need you! I really need you! You can't die on me! No matter what, you've gotta be here with me!"

I held him snugger in my arms and rubbed his back. "Gyutaro ..."

"Fuck, man. Why was that lady so scary?" he asked.

"Because she's apparently joined forces with the Demon Slayer Corps," I replied. "And, you're right. She is scary."