Lifeline

Kokushibou rushed me upstairs and sat me down on my futon. The burning on my skin became less, and the colour of the red goosebumps over my body started to fade. Kokushibou's expression went from a controlled panic to that of confusion.

"What?" he asked and pressed his hands over my face. He took my arms and examined them. After seeing the spots disappear, he took a deep breath. "They're gone." He looked at my face. "How are you feeling?"

I was at a loss for words. I was just as confused as he was, and on top of that, I was puzzled by Kokushibou.

That man seemed like he was prepared to run across the entire country to accomplish any request I could have of him.

"I'm fine," I said. "It's all gone, but I don't understand where it all came from."

"I don't know, either," Kokushibou said. He sat on the futon next to me. "Neither of us are going down in that basement again."

"This couldn't possibly be from the basement."

"Those are all skulls of women that Douma ate. Their souls can still be connected to the skulls and they might try to possess you out of revenge."

"That's ridiculous!"

"Don't raise your voice," he said in a calm tone. "You aren't well. You need to rest." He put an arm around me and pulled me against him. He put one of his hands to my head and laid it onto his shoulder. He watched me as I breathed. "Ehm ... why aren't you protesting?" he asked uneasily.

"I'm starting to get dizzy ..."

The room we were in began to spin very slowly in my vision.

"What do you mean you're dizzy?"

Veins started to pop all over my body.

"Michikatsu ... there's something very wrong with me."

I felt Kokushibou's heart pound in his chest. "You'll be all --" He stopped as he turned to look at me. The scars covering my face and neck were bright red, as if they were filled with blood. Kokushibou's jaw dropped very slightly, and his pulse quickened in panic. "Douma! DOUMA! DOUMA!" he yelled towards the door.

I started to see fire all around me.

A vision ...?

I felt like I was in Muzan's body, burning and struggling to regenerate.

Douma ran in. "Kokushibou, what's the matter?" He saw me. "Sakura-chan?"

"She's sick! There's something wrong! Do something!"

I saw Tamayo's face in front of me. I gasped.

"Do something or I'll kill you, Douma! I'LL KILL YOU!"

"Kokushibou, please calm down!"

I felt like I was punched through my stomach. All around me, I could hear Tamayo laughing.

"DO SOMETHING, DOUMA!"

Suddenly, I felt limp in my torso. I bent over forward, grabbing onto one of Kokushibou's knees to steady myself.

"Sakura-chan? Sakura-chan!"

"No!" Kokushibou held me up.

I vomited blood all over onto the floor. I stared down at the puddle with wide, terrified eyes.

Muzan! I thought.

I vomited more blood.

Kokushibou pulled me into his arms. Blood continued to spill out of my mouth onto his kimono.