The Human Boy Born to Demons

Muzan and I didn't understand how it could have happened. Of course, we knew what we did that resulted in this. But we didn't understand how. We thought that having a child as demons would be impossible. I didn't even menstruate since becoming a demon.

"You must have been menstruating but didn't bleed because you regenerated," Muzan said.

It was a logical explanation.

"We can do this," Muzan said with a bright smile. "We'll raise the child and then turn him into a demon when he's grown."

Muzan doted on me without stopping. He even quit working as an assassin, as I had to, and we sold some items for extra money. He never left my side and became rather odd, if I could put it frankly. He would touch my stomach as much as he could. It seemed to me as well that half the time he was talking to my stomach, rather than to me. I wasn't sure how healthy it was for him to be so emotionally involved in the baby before it was even born.

We didn't know if the baby would survive through birth, after all. Being born to demon parents wasn't normal, and I was convinced that the child would be stillborn. I knew I couldn't tell that to Muzan, especially since he had been stillborn himself and somehow managed to survive. I just hoped that he would be able to cope when we would have to face the horrible news.

The day came when I had contractions. Being demons, we couldn't get a midwife or doctor, so Muzan helped me through the process. It was lengthy and painful, even for me as a demon, but surely it was only a fraction of the discomfort I would have faced as a human.

I gave birth to a baby boy. He was small, perhaps a bit underweight, but Muzan was extremely relieved that he immediately let out cries. I wasn't so optimistic. I doubted the chance of a truly healthy development in the baby, since it was a human born to demons and that I hadn't eaten human food during my pregnancy. However, I wasn't going to express this to Muzan. All in all, I hoped I was wrong.

We named our son Kenta. His first two years of life seemed to be surprisingly normal -- except that he never saw the sunlight. Besides my breastfeeding, Muzan and I gathered human food to make purees to feed Kenta. Muzan was incredibly involved with taking care of our son. He smiled brighter than he ever had before, and when he laughed, it was of a completely different quality than I was used to. It was as if the trauma of his life was melting away.

Unfortunately, shortly after his second birthday, Kenta's health started to deteriorate.