100 Years Later

"Sakura, I think we're in need of a servant."

"A servant?"

"Shouldn't the King and Queen of Demons have servants?"

I looked down at my hands grinding herbs and leaves for Muzan's newest experiment. We still hadn't been able to formulate any medicine that would allow us to step into the sun.

If I'm a queen, then why am I grinding herbs and mixing chemicals? I thought.

Muzan leant closer to me. "Are you almost done?" he asked.

"See for yourself," I replied.

Muzan looked into the bowl the herbs and leaves were in. He sighed. "Not even close."

Feeling somewhat insulted by his disappointment, I aggressively started to pound and grind the herbs and leaves faster, like a maniac.

"Shh, what are you doing?" Muzan asked with a snicker and came behind me. He reached his arms around me and held my hands in place. "Like this," he said with his head hovering over my shoulder and started to guide my hands. He snickered again. "You're getting bored with all of this. But it's a good excuse for me to get closer to you, like it was when we were humans and I helped you with calligraphy. You were never very good at it."

"I hated that crap," I mumbled.

"But you loved when I put my hand on top of yours and helped you," Muzan said with a smirk on his lips. "You would blush so sweetly, filling me with urges I had to resist." He kept guiding my hands to grind the herbs and leaves. "You don't blush for me anymore. But of course, we're behind that silly and shy time of knowing each other."

"We've been together for 400 years," I said.

Muzan laughed. "It has been that long, hasn't it. It always feels much newer for me than it does for you." He paused. The sound of the grinding filled our ears. "Still, I'd love to feel that silly shyness again with you. To see you look at me the way you once did." He paused again. "When we conquer the sun, we'll feel that again. Someday, when I can spin you in my arms in the sunlight. I was never able to do that."

When Muzan was human, he was so frail that he could only walk very short distances before he would need to rest and wait for his heart rate to settle. He was obviously never able to spin me around or pick me up. It was me who he had to lean against sometimes in order to walk a little further. 

"You're getting nostalgic of those feelings," I told him.

"But, wouldn't you like to dance in the sun?"

"Of course."

"Ah, then see?" Muzan finished grinding the herbs and leaves. "If we talk about it while we prepare this concoction, maybe it'll make our wish come true." He kissed me on the cheek and let go of my hands. "So, Darling, I was thinking of a servant." He stepped to my side and took the bowl out of my hand.

"And, why exactly?"

Muzan put the bowl on the table and started to proceed with his experiment. "I just think we could use one," he replied. "One to tidy up around the castle. We've secured ourselves a remarkable abode."

The castle he spoke of was the abandoned one of a fallen shogun, around which we placed a demon energy to prevent anyone from intruding. It made the premises invisible to the human eye and also repelled anyone, human and demon alike, from coming too close to it.

"I'm thinking we can assume our roles as the Lord and Lady of the castle," Muzan continued. "Maybe sometime we can pretend we're at the Emperor's Court and dress up a little. You could use a maid for that. As for me, I'd need to find a man to dress me. We'll have to find both. But of course, only worthy, trustworthy demons that manage their power to be above most of what we've created." He looked at me." Would you mind preparing the purified water serum?"

"Sure," I said and started to do it.

Muzan started to laugh as he went on with his work. "Out of all the ridiculous demons we've created, that blob of a one in the mountains with all those arms has to be the worst."

I laughed. "It was one of our first demons. We can't be too surprised."