Chapter 30: Take Everything And Give Nothing Back

SLIGHT FREEDOM FROM SCHOOL WORKS!!!

Will edit later if I need to change stuff. Imma eat dinner.
___

[ Thousands of years ago... To stay average was the goal...]

The middle-school teacher of the private school she was currently attending praised the top of their class for saying the correct answer, again. The other students' reaction varied in many ways, there are those who were in awe every single time, those who envued the smart boy, those who couldn't care less and finally, someone who corrects either the top student or the teacher, sometimes both. That was what Nanami Ana did for the first time, a student who used to belong to those who couldn't care less.

"His grammar is wrong, ma'am." A twelve years old Ana politely corrected.

Every students stared at her in a childlike curiosity direction from where she was sitting at the very back beside the window— The protagonist seat, of course. Save for the top student, who looked at her in disdain, before covering up by changing it to a blank look. Ana was not dumb nor stupid.

The teachers favor the top student, Kinoshita Fumiyo, to the point that they turn a blind eye whenever he stirs up trouble. It was fortunate that he was not up to no good so often. The other students never brought it up, besides, it was just kids playing rough. Whenever someone complains about Fumiyo, the teachers use that excuse. Fumiyo is the current pride of the school, it would look bad if he had any negative reviews on his records. They never let any of the complains reach the principal.

Despite the middle school being a private one and the top of the prefecture, the only ones who actually know Ana's full name are the Principal and the head of the school guards.

"Miss Ana, it's not like any English speaker will bother correcting his grammar so long as they understand, right?" Their English teacher ended her sentence with a nervous chuckle. Partly because she does not want to look like she taught her students wrong.

A tense silence enveloped the entire room for a few seconds, before Ana sent an apologetic smile.

"You're right, teacher! Sorry for that, Kinoshita-san." Ana did not stand up and bow at them, as if she'll let herself look up to those below her.

"It's alright, Ana-san." Kinoshita sent a smile on her way before turning to the teacher, "Please continue the lesson, ma'am."

His words prompted the teacher to continue the lesson, ending the awkward exchange from moments ago.

___

"With that, our class is over. You can go have your break time." Students said their thanks before they made their way out, "Except you, Miss Ana. Please stay behind."

Those who heard it snickered as they saw Ana, who was already on her way out the door, went back to her teacher. She did not miss Fumiyo's small snicker as she walked pass him.

"What is it that you want from me?" The teacher wondered how Ana was able to say such rude words in a polite manner, she'll take it as an offense.

"That is no way to talk to your elders, child." The teacher sighed, "Listen, you don't point out the mistakes that Fumiyo make when it comes to class. Do you want him to do the same to you? He'll have to do it a lot of times."

'That brat doesn't just point out the simple mistakes of others, but also laugh at them.' Ana thought with a blank face, "No, ma'am."

"And don't even think of trying to compete with him." Before Ana could say that her teacher thought wrong, she continued, "I get that you want to do better with your academics, but you don't have to compete with the top student to do it. You won't be able to do it, it will take decades for you. Maybe you have a crush on him? He's way out of your league..." The teacher took a moment to study Ana's features, "... At least when it comes to academics, give him a few years, he might look... Decent. The point is, you should know you can't outsmart him. That is all, you can go now."